cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rb1
Level: Powered On

Interaction and automation between Flow, Power BI, SharePoint, and network folder

Current situation:

1. SharePoint list with data entered daily by user(s).

2. Power BI report (data source: #1 above) that displays summary snapshot-in-time. (auto-refreshed daily)

3. Power BI dashboard (data source: #1) with three tiles that each display snapshot-in-time value. Data alert set up on each tile. (auto-refreshed daily)

4. Three similar MS Flows: each is triggered by the above data alert on the corresponding tile, and each adds a line to one of three tables in one Excel sheet (resides in SharePoint doc library). (auto-executed daily)

5. Power BI report (data source: Excel sheet, resides in network folder \\server\folder) that charts data from the three tables. (auto-refreshed daily, gateway set up and functioning properly)

6. Once-daily, file from #4 is manually copied to #5.

Issues/Problems/Questions

1. The need is to trend the data for three data points in the SharePoint list in #1. Thus far, only way discovered to do that is to take a snapshot daily of the values (#3 and #4 above).

2. It has to be able to auto-refresh with no user interaction and no need to have my (SharePoint library owner) laptop on at the time of refresh.

3. No known way to have Flow add a line directly to the Excel sheet in #5 above.

4. No known way to have Power BI source data directly from Excel sheet in SharePoint doc library (#4 above).

5. No known way to have Flow automatically copy the Excel file from SharePoint doc library to network folder.

6. No known way to include SharePoint doc library item in data gateway.

Hope I've adequately (and clearly) conveyed the situation and our needs. Hoping that someone in the community either has direct solution(s) to Issue/Problem/Question #3, 4, 5, or 6, or can come up with "outside-the-box" ideas that would achieve the desired result.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Interaction and automation between Flow, Power BI, SharePoint, and network folder

Hi @rb1,

About #2, will you try using the trigger Recurrence? It will trigger the flow automatically based on the frequency you specified.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/run-scheduled-tasks

About #3, do you want to insert a line chart into the Excel file? I am afraid that it is not possible to be achieved currently.

About #4, please submit Power BI related issues on Power BI forum so that you could get the most qualified responses from there.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Forums/ct-p/Forums

About #5, I assume that it could be achieved by using the trigger Recurrence, then get files from SharePoint library and create file to Network folder. It could be created likes below:

1.PNG

About #6, SharePoint list (on-premises) is currently supported, however, it seems that SharePoint library (on-premises) has not been supported yet. If you need this feature, please submit a request on Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
rb1
Level: Powered On

Re: Interaction and automation between Flow, Power BI, SharePoint, and network folder

Hi Mabel-

Thanks very much for your input... yes, appears will have to submit proposals for several of these items.

Regarding the refresh, apologize if wasn't clear -- I can get auto-refresh to work just fine in general, but the problems arise when file is on my computer or in my SharePoint library/site.

Regarding the Excel, no not a line chart -- a line in a table.

I appreciate your taking the time to give some thoughts -- thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,692)