cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Invalid value:provided for item ID

Hi there,

I am trying to update Dynamics 365 for Sales record when a record is updated in SQL Server. So I have SQL Server "When an item is modified" as the first step and then I have "Update a record" in D365. I am putting in "id" as the Record Identifier. However, it gives me the following error each time.  

{
  "status"400,
  "message""Invalid value: 34 provided for item ID",
  "source""dynamicscrmonlineconnectionprovider-westus.tip0-westus.p.azurewebsites.net",
  "debugInfo""clientRequestId: 9654cb9c-d61f-42ac-b653-77a81421e494"
}2018-03-05_14-15-28.jpg

2018-03-05_14-17-50.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TonyQ,

Could you please share a bit more about the id dynamic content filled within Record identifier field "Update a record" action?

The error message told that the value you filled within Record identifier field of "Update record" action is invalid. The Record identifier field of "Update a record" action is required to fill a unique identifier of a record.

Actually, the Record identifier is decorated as a GUID string within Dynamics 365, such as, 'cb6555a0-2927-e811-8122-70106fa93fc1'. The "Update a record" action find the specific record via a unique GUID string ('cb6555a0-2927-e811-8122-70106fa93fc1'), the Dynamics 365 triggers/actions UI just translate the GUID string into a friendly dynamic content as following flow's configuration:2.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:3.JPG

So if you want to update the record with id dynamic content filled within Record identifier field of "Update a record" action, please make sure that your id column store the unique Record identifier (a GUID string) of a record.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted

Hi @v-xida-msft,

ya, you are totally right, I found this "workaround" as well, what I was trying to do is whenever there is a change in my local SQL database, I want to update Dynamics 365, but I encountered this error. 

so, what I am doing right now, is that I set up a flow to update SQL database first to include a GUID column of my D365 records, and then use this GUID column as the record identifier to update my D365 if there is any change in my database. 

is this the right approach? cause for me, this is a bit tedious, is there any way that I can directly update D365 from my SQL database without creating this additional column in my SQL table?

thanks

Tony

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,838)