Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

'InvalidApprovalRequestor' Error in approval workflow

Hello,

I've been trying the basic (following the instructions from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/modern-approvals) and when I try to run the flow it always crashes on the "Start Approval" step.

At frist I thought I did something wrong with the mail assigned so I tried a fixed mail (within my organization), however the same error shows up, I also tried an external mail (not in the dropdown list) and it also fails (although with a different message). Has anyone encountered this error and has any idea of how to correct it?

Error description:

BadRequest. The request failed. Error code: 'InvalidApprovalRequestor'. Error Message: 'The approval requestor must be a single, valid user account within your organization.'.

2018-09-18 17_24_27-Run History _ Microsoft Flow.png

Step configuration:

Start Approval Configuration.png

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: 'InvalidApprovalRequestor' Error in approval workflow

Hi @LABORSAL,

First, both Assigned to and Requestor need to be members of your organization, and the values in the email format must be populated here. 

Please make sure fill in the email address in the “Requestor” field in the Start an approval action instead of the Display name of a person.

Your error Message screenshot also show ‘Failed to evaluate the template language expression’.

Have you configured Expression?  Although I have not seen the trace of Expression configuration from the screenshot of your action configuration.

If so, please check if the Expression is written or not, or provide it to us. It will be very helpful.

Best Regards,

Barry

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hello @v-bacao-msft!

Thanks for your input, I'm not exactly sure what was incorrect but I redid the whole thing and now it works (I must have configured something incorrectly in one of the fields).

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

I am getting this same error as well.  My flow is reading an Excel file which has a column of 200+ email addresses and sending out approval request to each email individually.   I ran several tests using a limited number of email addresses and the test flows ran successfully.   I did go through and verify that all the email addresses were valid.  Screenshot of error is attached.

FlowError2.png

Here are the flow steps:

Current.png

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting the same error as well, even though the flow has worked around 30/40 times beforehand. 

Highlighted

Buen día,

Este error es debido a que el solicitante o el asignado debe ser solo un correo, dice ahí que debe ser una cuenta única.

Highlighted

same here ...

Highlighted

Same Here, if I understand correctly we can not send requests or approve requests for anyone outside our organization. Will that ever be changed? We are using flow to generate access requests. In some cases the access is being provided to 3rd party vendors. So in this sceanrio they would be the requester (external) and one of our managers would be the approvers.

with the way things are set up now , we cant do this..this is a problem for us..

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I as debugging my flow today, the Approval has run for about 300 times today and now fails wihout a change being applied in that area. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Same here...  my approval flow run a few hundred times in last 6 months and failed starts last night, no changes to the flow.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I had this siuation earlier this week, where I was nesting flows with HTTP-POSTS and thus required a lot of unitary-testing. The part of the flow where the approvers were identified and the Approvals-Request was created had not changed of over 100 runs when it suddenly stopped working.
I gave it some time, hoping it was related to the frequence of the runs or so.... but the error remained the next day. I exported the flow, removed the Approval-part and recreated it using identical parameters... worked immediately. I then exported this situation again, just in case it could help Microsoft during their fix to this.

Seems like something in the behind-the-screen definitions got corrupted during the development of the flow.... 

Tre reconstruciing yourself and see if that works for you

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I am having the same issue, I hve used my microsoft tenant user email address which has a license. but I get the error

The request failed. Error code: 'InvalidApprovalRequestor'. Error Message: 'The approval requestor must be a single, valid user account within your organization.'. 

error.png

error.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Come join us today! Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,624)