cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amitlathia
Level: Powered On

InvalidTemplate error using select action in flow

Hi Community,

I have been building a flow, which up until recently worked. All of a sudden I am receiving the following error...

InvalidTemplate. The execution of template action 'Select' failed: The evaluation of 'query' action 'where' expression '...The template language expression 'item()['Babukaka_x0020_Hall_x0020_Start_']' cannot be evaluated because property 'Babukaka_x0020_Hall_x0020_Start_' doesn't exist... 

error.PNG

From what I can see it is saying that the selected column from sharepoint does not exist - but I have selected this from the get items output, and I can also confirm its not a required field in sharepoint so even blank values should not impact this from working. The column concerned is a simple date/time field.

Has anyone had a similar problem or able to suggest a solution. My flow is designed to select certain columns from a sharepoint list and create a CSV table which will then get emailed out on a regular basis.

Many thanks for your help in advance

Amit

8 REPLIES 8
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: InvalidTemplate error using select action in flow

Hi @amitlathia,

I assume that there might be blanks within the Date column. Please make sure all the fields under the Date column are filled with value.

I have made a test on my side. When there is a blank value under the Date column, the flow would be failed with the error you mentioned. While if all the fields under the Date column are filled with value, it will run succeed.  If you test with other types of columns, you will get the same result.

Please try to fill in all the date fields then test it again.

Best regards,

Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitlathia

thanks @v-yamao-msft Mabel,

Is this not a bug then... In a normal use of sharepoint lists there maybe instances where date/time field is not completed. In my application for example, there are fields which only get updated at certain points for example confirming reciept of payment, or only entering a time/date if a room has been blocked.

Also I removed the date/time fields from my flow and found that even non-date fields are coming up with the same error. It cannot surely be the case that all fields must be completed for the flow to work? I have previously had this flow working but it has stopped all of a sudden, so the data would not be the issue because even in previous versions there were blank fields.

Please advise any alternative work around as blank fields are likely to be necessasary on this sharepoint list.

Thanks

Amit

amitlathia

Hi Mabel @v-yamao-msft and community,

I would really appreciate if someone could have a look at this issue for me - I tried to recreate on another sharepoint list and have the same issues. Blank fields may be the issue, but I really need a work around as the sharepoint list is designed to have blank fields. Is there any way of telling flow to either ignore the fact that a field is blank and therefore still provide the rest of the data from that item or any other work around so I can get the CSV table of the various sharepoint columns?

Really appreciate your support in advance.

Amit

Lexn
Level: Power Up

Thank you!! Had similar issue, indeed due to missing value. I whould think if a value is empty, it would just show blank.

Brian13

Hello

I have exactly the same problem with 'get items' and 'select'

the error message is the same:

InvalidTemplate. The execution of template action 'Select' failed: The evaluation of 'query' action 'where' expression '{ "SAIBT Entry ": "@item()['Title']", "Pathway Year": "@item()['Pathway_x0020_Year']", "UniSA Division ": "@item()['UniSA_x0020_Division']", "SAIBT Pathway Program ": "@item()['SAIBT_x0020_Pathway_x0020_Progra']", "Requirement on Exit ": "@item()['Requirement_x0020_on_x0020_Exit']", "GPA Requirement ": "@item()['GPA_x0020_Requirement']", "UniSA Program Code ": "@item()['UniSA_x0020_Program_x0020_Code']", "Stream Code ": "@item()['Stream_x0020_Code']", "UniSA Program Plan Description ": "@item()['UniSA_x0020_Program_x0020_Plan_x']", "Note Code ": "@item()['Note_x0020_Code']", "Credit Granted": "@item()['Credit_x0020_Granted']", "Yrs at UniSA": "@item()['Yrs_x0020_at_x0020_UniSA']", "Cricos Code": "@item()['Cricos_x0020_Code']", "Annual Fee": "@item()['Annual_x0020_Fee']", "Total Course Fee to use on CoEs": "@item()['Total_x0020_Course_x0020_Fee_x00']", "UniSA Intake": "@item()['UniSA_x0020_Intake']", "SAIBT Stream": "@item()['SAIBT_x0020_Stream']", "NOTES": "@item()['NOTES']" }' failed: 'The template language expression 'item()['Stream_x0020_Code']' cannot be evaluated because property 'Stream_x0020_Code' doesn't exist, available properties are '@odata.etag, ItemInternalId, ID, Title, Pathway_x0020_Year, UniSA_x0020_Division,

There are no date fields in my list but there are a lot of empty fields

anyone get a fix to this?

WillPage
Level 8

I have the same issue. I expect it can be fixed with some sorrt of if(isblank([column name]), "placeholder text", [column name]) type expression, but I'm yet to embark on trying to resolve this. I'll update this thread if I figure it out.

Highlighted
WillPage
Level 8

@Brian13 and @amitlathia if you're still looking for an answer to this, here it is:

In the select operation, set the value to an expression like this:

if(empty(item()?['Column']), '-', item()?['Column'])
This example replaces bank fields in the column called Column with a dash character. Edit as you see fit for you purpose.
Brian13

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 170 members 5,476 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: