cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoeyDig
Level: Powered On

Is there a way to lookup the value in a document library when an item is created in a list

I'm looking for a way to assign relevant training to a new employee, I have a list of all employees, a document library with training that is required for each department and I want to bring the both together in a Training Matrix list.

I have used “When an item is created or modified” as the trigger on the list and “Get item properties” on the library but the Get item properties wants an item ID of the particular item, where I want to assign training to a user if the SharePoint group they are in matches the group of training documents for that department (Which is a property of the document) and then write that information to the Training Matrix List

Any suggestions?

Joseph

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Is there a way to lookup the value in a document library when an item is created in a list

Hi @JoeyDig,

I assume that there should be a common column between the list and the library.

Please try to add the action Get files (properties only), then use a Condition to filter out the one that matches the condition. Then add other following actions under If YES branch.

You could also try to use the Filter query in action Get files (properties only) so that this action could only return the specific matched one.

Hope it could be your reference. Please take a try with it on your side.

1.PNG 

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
JoeyDig
Level: Powered On

Re: Is there a way to lookup the value in a document library when an item is created in a list

Thank you for your reply to my question but it isn’t the solution to the problem I face

List A – A list of users, their department and their job role

New User: Robert Paulson

Department: Shop floor

Role: Paint Sprayer

New User: Tyler Durden

Department: Shop floor

Role: Machine Operator

Document Library – A library of all training that that user must do with a column with the training role

Training Role            Document name

All users                    Fire evacuation

All Users                   Company Handbook

Paint Sprayer            Spray Chart

Machine Operator    CNC Guide

What I am trying to accomplish is, both users get assigned the All users training to complete, but additionally, Robert Paulson is assigned the Spray Chart and Tyler Durden is assigned the CNC Guide. So each user is assigned the training based solely on their role in the company

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,851)