cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnjohn123
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Is there any harm if i leave the Choice field empty inside the Update Item action, so the action will not touch those fields

I have noted that when i create a new Update Item action, all the choice fields will be set to the default value as follow:-

3red.png

So is there any harm if i remove the default values and leave the Choice fields empty as follow, so the Update Item action will not touch those Choice fields?

4reds.png

4 REPLIES 4
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@johnjohn123

There is no harm but if you are setting a default value on the choice column in sharepoint, the record will be saved with this default value.

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here
sudharsan1985
Super User
Super User

Hi @johnjohn123 

There are a couple of scenarios when you are using the out-of-box Update Item.

• When the choice field is non-mandatory and if it doesn't have a default value set, then you can give the value to the choice field only if it is necessary else leave it blank. Leaving blank, in this case, will have no impact on the existing value.
  • When the choice field in non-mandatory and if the default value is set, then you have to pass in the existing values if you want to maintain the existing values or pass the new values. If you didn't pass the existing values or the new values, the default value will be set for the item.
  • When the choice field is mandatory and if the default value is set or not, you have to pass in the values.

Please click here to see how to update the multichoice field via Power Automate.

Hope it helps, please like it or mark it as a solution if it resolves your clarification or issue
-Sudharsan K...

@Mira_Ghaly  yes i have a default value for the field, but this will be applied when creating the item only, but when updating the item and the item already have a value so the default value will be ignored..

@johnjohn123 yes it will be ignored on update 

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (47,191)