cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChadVKealey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Issue creating Todo tasks for new events on subscribed calendar

I'm using a iCal (.ics) feed to "connect to"/"subscribe to" a calendar in my Outlook calendar. The calendar I'm feeding from is in the Blackboard Learn LMS, but I've also tried the same with another subscribed calendar (the Cleveland Browns game schedule) with the same results, so I don't think the calendar feed itself is part of the issue. However, it may be ALL such "external" calendars that are added via a URL that exhibit this problem.

Anyway, when new items are added to that calendar, I'd like to create a Todo task for each. The problem is that every time the Flow runs, it seems to go through all of the items on the calendar and create the Todos, even for events that aren't "New".

To give an example, the first time it runs (BTW, the default sync schedule for these types of calendars is 4 hours), there are 3 events, let's call them A, B and C. Todo tasks are created for each of those ("Task A", "Task B" and "Task C"). Between that run and the next one (4 hours later), 3 more events are added to the calendar, call them D, E, and F. When it next runs, it creates Todo tasks for ALL of the events (not just the new ones), so I end up with: "Task A", "Task B", "Task C", "Task A", "Task B", "Task C", "Task D", "Task E" and "Task F". The next time it runs, I end up with three "Task A"s, three "Task B"s, etc. You get the idea.

Here's the Flow itself:

Flow to create Todo Tasks
2 REPLIES 2
v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ChadVKealey,

Maybe its causes by input the .ics file into the outlook will delete the old event, the old task will be deleted before input new event.

So, the old event will trigger the Flow. If create the event manually will not happen.

There is a workaround that you can according to the end date to determine whether to create a todo task.

e.g. If the end date is greater than now, create the to-do task.

Annotation 2019-09-13 152728.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your reply @v-litu-msft , but that workaround wouldn't really work because (I've determined) that each time Outlook "refreshes"/syncs the calendar data, each event gets re-created. 

I created a SharePoint list with columns matching the fields I'm populating in Todo for each task and also columns for the Event ID (of the event in the Calendar) and the Todo ID (of the created Todo item). After letting it run for most of a day (18 hours), and looking at the Event IDs in that list, it's clear that every time the Calendar syncs, the previous items are replaced with new copies of the same items. I don't know if this is a bug or by design, although if it's by design, it's a bad design. I'll post something in the Outlook community over at Tech Community to see if someone can clarify that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (5,085)