cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jessica_Paske
Frequent Visitor

Issue for Flow for When File is Created Using File Templates

Hi! Any help appreciated, thanks!

I am new to flows and am wondering what I am doing wrong in building a flow for a new file being created using an Excel template that is loaded into the library. We want the document attached in the email.

We have to rename the file which triggers two emails sent as part of the flow, one tilted Book and then a while later an email with the new title.

How can I stop the first email from sending?

I included screen shots of the flow and the double emails.

Flow Double Emails.JPGFlow Step 1.JPGFlow Step 2.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Jessica_Paske,

If HR is fine manually starting the flow after they handle their onboarding process then that eliminates the extra email that's being sent on "book.xlsx."  To do this, you'll use the template "Complete a custom action for a selected file" which can be found here: https://us.flow.microsoft.com/en-us/galleries/public/templates/31a5422e6d8b4c0d9fdb95f298130e4d/comp...

This allows users to select an item inside the SharePoint library and then manually pick a flow from the toolbar.  So, HR can create a new file from the spreadsheet, complete any other actions, and then select that file and run the flow!

I hope that helps!  Let me know if you need more information.

Ashley

If this response provided an answer to your question please mark it as a solution so that others can find it.

If you found this helpful, consider giving it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
edgonzales
Super User II
Super User II

@Jessica_Paske 

Hi there.  A few ways to go about this, if you'd like:  

1. Add a filter on your trigger to only look for mods to book.xlsx
  2. Add a delay after the trigger to give youself time to rename the file.
  3. Automate the renaming step and put it before the send email bit.

There might be other options, those are just the ones I came up with.  Let us know if any sound appealing.

-Ed-

If you liked this reply, please give it a thumbs up! If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

Thanks so much for the quick response! I don't know how to do either of the first two options either, I did attempt number 2 since I could find a condition but couldn't configure it to change the sending of the one labeled Book. We need to name the files individually (not always the same name) as this is a new employee onboarding flow, unless there is another option for that?

@Jessica_Paske 

Ok, got it. So, I think renaming might be the best, and most stable solution.  To do that, you'll want to first get the metadata and file content, then create a new file with the cool new name, then delete the old one, then send the email with the cool new file info, right?

Check out this thread where someone else did something pretty close.  That should get you most of the way there, but keep us posted. 

Good luck!

-Ed-

If you liked this reply, please give it a thumbs up! If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

Thank you and sorry if I am not understanding, I have had 0 training and just trying to figure out as I go! HR has to rename the file each time with an employee name and then we want the email to send, so we don't want to use flow to rename the file for us. Our hope is:

HR opens Excel template from SharePoint library.

It opens named "Book.xlsx" and so they rename to "New Hire Checklist - Employee Name."

Once the the file is renamed from Book, email sends to next person on the on-boarding list.

OR

HR starts the flow themselves once they have completed their portion of the checklist.

Hi @Jessica_Paske,

If HR is fine manually starting the flow after they handle their onboarding process then that eliminates the extra email that's being sent on "book.xlsx."  To do this, you'll use the template "Complete a custom action for a selected file" which can be found here: https://us.flow.microsoft.com/en-us/galleries/public/templates/31a5422e6d8b4c0d9fdb95f298130e4d/comp...

This allows users to select an item inside the SharePoint library and then manually pick a flow from the toolbar.  So, HR can create a new file from the spreadsheet, complete any other actions, and then select that file and run the flow!

I hope that helps!  Let me know if you need more information.

Ashley

If this response provided an answer to your question please mark it as a solution so that others can find it.

If you found this helpful, consider giving it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

YESSS! THANK YOU! That is magic. I really appreciate the help!

Happy to help!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,991)