cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
virakones
Resolver II
Resolver II

Issues populating Dynamically Created Word Document Template saved in Sharepoint

Hello,

I'm aiming to create a flow that populates a Word template from an online Microsoft Form in 2 separate processes: Employee fills out form and generates Word template file, upon completion, Manager populates the same file.

1. Employee
The first Flow below will collect the details of the first form, generate a timestamp filename, populate word document and create a file in a Sharepoint library and then finally sending an email to the manager when this process is complete.

In that email contains the filename and a link to the seperate Manager Form.

virakones_0-1610469810366.png

2. File in Sharepoint

At this point, there is a file in sharepoint that, when I download it, still contains template elements and controls (mainly just plain text control).

virakones_1-1610470210191.png

3. Manager

At this stage, the Manager will receive the above email when the employee completes their form. I ask the Manager to copy the filename provided as a response so that I can use it to reference the exact file the employee filled out.

In the flow, when a new Manager form response is completed, it will store the filename provided as a variable that I use to replace the filename in the populate word template action. Before adding the variable name, I use a sample file to pre-fill the fields. when the fields are filled from the dynamic content, I swap out the filename for the variable.

At this point, the flow, I imagine, should be able to grab the correct file and populate the document considering that it is still a template.

virakones_3-1610470464001.png

Issue

The file is properly retrieved but does not seem to recognize template elements in the document even though I get the correct file, and when downloaded, still contains empty plain text controls for the Manager portions.

virakones_2-1610470325785.png

virakones_5-1610470851942.png

virakones_4-1610470757732.png

What can I do here to resolve this? Is it possible to reference a Word file as a variable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
virakones
Resolver II
Resolver II

This is resolved.

See @RichFunk365's post here, I was able to dynamically fill in the manager portions of the template using dynamic file schema field. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
virakones
Resolver II
Resolver II

This is resolved.

See @RichFunk365's post here, I was able to dynamically fill in the manager portions of the template using dynamic file schema field. 

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,002)