cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
deddyandy
Level: Powered On

Item not found when an item is deleted

I want to delete an item from a list. I need to store a value from the deleted item to use it for calculation in another list.

I use action "when an item is deleted", then the next step is "Get Item".

Capture11.PNG

However I get the following error message:

Capture12.PNG

Capture13.PNG

Regards,

Deddy.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Item not found when an item is deleted

Hi @deddyandy 

The action Get Items only works for items that are present in the SP list when that action is executed so you cannot really get the item that way. jsklfdj.PNG

Here i am sending the ID details and the title and the person who deleted the item in an email. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @deddyandy 

So how this works is, the Get Item action is an independent action that will be executed. For the trigger: When an item is deleted, this is triggered when the item is deleted and the trigger itself brings some data as I have shown in the previous resposne. Similarly, for the When an item is created or modified, you get the Id from here and now the Get Item action runs and makes a new call to SP to get that particular item referenced here. So that way, on the When an item is deleted will not work as the item doe not exists when the get item is being executed. Makes sense?

Can you share the scenario that you are trying to build so that I can have a better look and suggest a possible solution? 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS! 

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hey @deddyandy 

There is a limitation on this one. So when an item is deleted is triggered, you can just get the name, ID etc and not any of the columns associated with that item. So this way, it would not be possible to get the other list to update when an item is deleted from List A. 

You might want to create workflow in SP itself to achieve this. Here is a post that shows how to do that:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16295567/how-to-create-calculated-column-with-data-from-another-...

Hope this Helps!

6 REPLIES 6
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @deddyandy 

The action Get Items only works for items that are present in the SP list when that action is executed so you cannot really get the item that way. jsklfdj.PNG

Here i am sending the ID details and the title and the person who deleted the item in an email. 

Hope this Helps!

deddyandy

Hi @yashag2255,

So I guess it is different from action "when an item is created or modified" where we can access all information in an item.

Could you please tell me of how to solve my need?

Regards,

Deddy.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @deddyandy 

So how this works is, the Get Item action is an independent action that will be executed. For the trigger: When an item is deleted, this is triggered when the item is deleted and the trigger itself brings some data as I have shown in the previous resposne. Similarly, for the When an item is created or modified, you get the Id from here and now the Get Item action runs and makes a new call to SP to get that particular item referenced here. So that way, on the When an item is deleted will not work as the item doe not exists when the get item is being executed. Makes sense?

Can you share the scenario that you are trying to build so that I can have a better look and suggest a possible solution? 

Hope this Helps!

deddyandy

Hi @yashag2255 ,

It does make sense now. Thanks for the explanation.

The scenario is that I have two lists, say List A and List B.

List A has a column named Allotment, numeric type.

List B has a column named AmountOfFieldLeave, numeric type.

When an item is deleted from List A, the value in column AmountOfFieldLeave in List B must be deducted by the value of column Allotment of the deleted item.

To make it more clear please find the following lists (the lists do not show the whole tables)

Capture-1.PNG

List A

Capture-2.PNG

List B

List B is the summary of data in List A. When I delete the record "Deddy Andy        5" from List A, then the corresponding record in List B must change from "Deddy Andy       7" to "Deddy Andy       2".

Appreciate for your help.

Regards,

Deddy

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hey @deddyandy 

There is a limitation on this one. So when an item is deleted is triggered, you can just get the name, ID etc and not any of the columns associated with that item. So this way, it would not be possible to get the other list to update when an item is deleted from List A. 

You might want to create workflow in SP itself to achieve this. Here is a post that shows how to do that:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16295567/how-to-create-calculated-column-with-data-from-another-...

Hope this Helps!

deddyandy

Hi @yashag2255,

I have regretted stopping using SharePoint Designer, and starting using Flow 3 years ago. Flow was launched with many basic weaknesses. I am also having another problem with action "when an item is created or modified" where it causes flow run indefinitely. I have forgotten most of SharePoint Designer because I was also a beginner at that time and only using it for one year. Now I have to start learning it again.

Anyway, thanks a alot for your help.

Regards,

Deddy.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,686)