cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swseelam
Employee
Employee

Joining a parallel action to an already existing flow

I am trying to join a parallel action to an already existing flow. I do not see an option to do this in the UI.

For example : I created Action5 in an already existing flow. I am trying to join Action5 to Action4. I do not see an option to do this.

Action1

____________|__________________________________

|                                       |                             |

Action2                            Action3                 Action5

|__________________________|

|

Action4

22 REPLIES 22
ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@swseelam 

Please try the following:

1. Copy Action 5 to the Flow clipboard (click on the three dots and select copy to clipboard)
  2. Click on the plus sign above Action 4  and select Add a parallel branch
  3. In the dialog box that appears asking you to select an action, Click on My clipboard and select the copy of Action 5
  4. Delete the original Action 5

Please let me know if this works for you or if you need additional help.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

swseelam_0-1600296087534.png

@ScottShearer I do not see "Add parallel branch" option above Action 4. 

@swseelam 

The fact that you don't see the option for a parallel brach probably has to do with where the action is located.  Please post a screen shot of your Flow in edit mode and I'll try to assist.

Scott
Pstork1
Most Valuable Professional

Since the action is already part of a set of Parallel branches, based on your screenshot, you have to click above the intersection rather than below.  That's why you don't see the add parallel branch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ScottShearer @Pstork1 

I want to join Action1 to Action2. Plus under Action1 just shows "Add an Action".

swseelam_0-1600296863462.png

Pstork1

You can't go from one set of parallel branches directly to another set.  Add some action, I would use a simple compose, above action 2.  After that you should see add a parallel branch between that action and action 2.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @swseelam.

I'm in a similar boat and still terribly confused. I notice you haven't marked any response as the accepted solution. Were you able to join the parallel branch? If so, how did you do this?

Thanks,
Carla

@Anonymous  No, I could not add an additional parallel branch. I had to delete the part below parallel actions and reconstruct it again. 

I think he is trying to terminate that parallel with the Action 5 into the same Action 4. I.e., add another parallel branch to the two existing branches, ending with the already existing intersection.

tchay34
Regular Visitor

Still appears outside UI is only way. If helpful to others looking at this, how I solved for my situation:

tchay34_0-1614438636909.png

Download the flow as a .zip file

tchay34_1-1614438636913.png

Within the .zip file, navigate “Microsoft.Flow” --> “flows” --> (folder with numbers) --> definition.json

Open the definition as a text file. In this case, I wanted to connect the branch before “Filter array 9”. So I searched for Filter Array 9’s run after property, which is currently after “num_pers_req”

tchay34_2-1614438636919.png

I then modified the run after by adding an additional requirement within the curly braces, by adding the requirement for “Compose_69” to be completed

tchay34_3-1614438636930.png

Save the and update this as the definition.json within your zip folder

In power automate, go to import, and upload the .zip folder

tchay34_4-1614438636931.png

Before importing, you could have also modified the file name within the zip file, or you can do it here. Select config

tchay34_5-1614438636933.png

If you want to replace an existing flow, select the flow to be replaced, click save, and then import

tchay34_6-1614438636934.png

Alternately, select “Create as new” from the dropdown, save, and import

tchay34_7-1614438636935.png

Result:

tchay34_8-1614438636940.png

O354-admin

I have a flow with 85 action items and was experiencing similar issues.

I was able to use Scope to consolidate all action items and then drag all the actions in one long path. 

Original:

Action1

Action1.2

Action1.3

Action2                            Action3                 Action5

Action2.1                         Action3.1

|

Action4

Action4.1

Action4.2

Action4.3

Use scope to consolidate all the action items like below:

Scope1

Scope2                            Scope3                 Action5

|

Scope 4

Organize all the Scope items in one column:

Scope1

|

Scope2

|

Scope3

|

Scope5

|

Scope4
                                                               (+) <-- add parallel tasks here. Drag and drop the scopes as planned.

Then you can start adding parallel actions below Scope 4.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the way I add a new parallel action to an existing flow:

1) Copy the action you want to join (It will include those dependent actions below)

2) Add 'New Step' using the copied one

3) Then you will see those parallel actions are now joined to the new step

4) Delete the old one and DONE!

SteveLo_0-1624914096710.png

SteveLo_3-1624914397290.png

SteveLo_4-1624914662396.png

davidmckenzie
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have found a way that seems to work for me, whether it is useful depends on how many actions you have below the join (action 4 in this case).

• Click on "Add an action" or "New Step" below action 4, which one depends on whether you are at the end of a loop or at the end of the flow.
  • Add a compose action, this will cause actions 5 and 4 to join at this compose:
                                 Act1
                                    |
      ---------------------------------
      |                   |                          |
    Act2            Act3                    Act5
      --------------                          |
               |                                    |
             Act4                                |
               |                                    |
               --------------------------
                               |
                        Compose1
  • Add another compose below Compose1 (next step only allows drop between steps)
  • Drag and drop Act 4 between Compose1 and Compose2. This should now give you:
                                 Act1
                                    |
      ---------------------------------
    Act2            Act3                    Act5
      -------------- ------------------
                                 |
                        Compose1
                                 |
                              Act4
                                 |
                        Compose2
  • Then delete Compose 1 and Compose 2.

Not something I'd want to do if Act4 was more than a handful of actions since you need to drag and drop each. Unless you follow a previous reply and use Scope to group actions.

xsg13
Advocate I
Advocate I

This really seems like a bug, there should be an option to just add items to the Run After to reconnect parallel branches.  This would be a much simpler process.

Yup, I totally agree with that. We are just trying to find hacks to work around the problem.

cnevs

I had the same problem.  I have a branch with 2 actions that reconnects to a long list of individual actions below.  Its crazy you cant just drag and drop the lines of the flow, they have this feature in Project and it makes way more sense. 

You need to start from the bottom and work the branch back up.  

1. Use the 'New Step' button at the bottom.  This should link between the bottom of your existing flow ('Action 4'), and the parallel branch that doesnt lead to anything ('Action 5').  

2. Drag and drop everything under the original parallel branch to come after the new step you just created, then delete the fake step. This should leave the 'Action 5' linked to the 2 and 3 branch. 

asd2525
Helper IV
Helper IV

Alright here is my solution:

We start out with this:

asd2525_0-1650405284341.png

We want compose 7 to go into Compose 5.

Create a Scope action and pull Compose 2 into it.

asd2525_1-1650405428983.png

Then drag Compose 3 and Compose 4 into the Scope as well. Add a parallel branch between Compose 3 and Compose 2 (it doesn't matter what action you add since you will delete it).

asd2525_2-1650405507350.png

Then drag Compose 7 into the scope under the action that you created in the parallel branch.

asd2525_3-1650405628868.png

Then delete the action you created and you will have your parallel branches joined to a single action.

asd2525_4-1650405714234.png

ALL HAIL THE POWER OF SCOPE!

I hope this helps everyone. I did think of this on the fly and haven't used it yet so if you come across an issue please let me know. I only found this post since I was trying to do something similar.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. Unfortunately this does not work for me. When i add a parallel function above branch 4, all i get is a parallel function to branch 4, not to branch 3 and branch 2. What am I doing incorrectly?

Garrana
Frequent Visitor

Hi there @swseelam!

This thread is quite old for Internet standards, but since you haven't flagged any solutions so far, and @Anonymous is still suffering from this, sharing what worked for me.

Captura de Tela 2022-12-09 às 13.14.30.png

After creating your now orphan parallel flow like above, go to the very bottom of your flow and click on the +New Action button (don't click on the plus sign on the flow, it won't work):
Captura de Tela 2022-12-09 às 13.05.37.png

Add any action, like Compose, and it should automagically unite the current end of your flow and the end of your orphan branch.

Captura de Tela 2022-12-09 às 13.16.59.png
Move the items from the former end of your flow directly above the compose action you created. If you want to join to some point in the middle of other parallels branches, just reorganize them as they were above the compose.

Captura de Tela 2022-12-09 às 13.18.16.png

Now you should be able to Power Automate the way you intended to.

Captura de Tela 2022-12-09 às 13.21.12.png

HTH!

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪 🌠  

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

March User Group Update: New Groups and Upcoming Events!

Welcome to this month’s celebration of our Community User Groups and exciting User Group events. We’re thrilled to introduce some brand-new user groups that have recently joined our vibrant community. Plus, we’ve got a lineup of engaging events you won’t want to miss. Let’s jump right in: New User Groups   Sacramento Power Platform GroupANZ Power Platform COE User GroupPower Platform MongoliaPower Platform User Group OmanPower Platform User Group Delta StateMid Michigan Power Platform Upcoming Events  DUG4MFG - Quarterly Meetup - Microsoft Demand PlanningDate: 19 Mar 2024 | 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Dive into the world of manufacturing with a focus on Demand Planning. Learn from industry experts and share your insights. Dynamics User Group HoustonDate: 07 Mar 2024 | 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Houston, get ready for an immersive session on Dynamics 365 and the Power Platform. Connect with fellow professionals and expand your knowledge. Reading Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Group (Q1)Date: 05 Mar 2024 | 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM GMT Standard TimeDescription: Join our virtual meetup for insightful discussions, demos, and community updates. Let’s kick off Q1 with a bang! Leaders, Create Your Events!  Leaders of existing User Groups, don’t forget to create your events within the Community platform. By doing so, you’ll enable us to share them in future posts and newsletters. Let’s spread the word and make these gatherings even more impactful! Stay tuned for more updates, inspiring stories, and collaborative opportunities from and for our Community User Groups.   P.S. Have an event or success story to share? Reach out to us – we’d love to feature you!

Users online (7,026)