cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Link to Item: Link is not working for some users

I've created an approval flow, but the link to item does not work for approvers other than myself (the owner of the Flow). I've added all approvers as Run-Only users, and they have edit/contribute/approve permissions in the library. I'm confused as to why the link would work for me (as an approver), but not for others.

link to item.PNG

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Link to Item: Link is not working for some users

Hi @jobiewan what is the error that the other users are seeing?

Did my reply help? Please give it a thumbs up.
Did I answer your question? Please mark my post as a solution!
If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Leader: Black Country PowerApps & Flow User Group

Highlighted
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

I'll see if I can replicate your issue, but I suspect the problem is related to them being run-only users.  I know it should be a read-only link, but as run-only users I don't think they will be able to approve anyway, since that involves editing the approval. This may be a side effect from that.  Did you try making one of them a regular user with a share instead of read only and see if that changes the outcome?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

The link does not open the document in question. When you hover over the display name, you can see that the link is there, but it will not open. They also can't right-click and copy the link. Oddly, when I put myself in as the approver, the link works just fine for me.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

I only see two options: adding them as run-only users, or adding them as owners. Do you think that everyone needs to be an owner for the flow to run properly? That hasn't been the case with any of my other flows...

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

I made the entire library an "owner" of the workflow so that, theoretically, anyone using the library can run the flow. I also made sure that all my assigned approvers have at least "edit" permissions. The link still does not work. 😞

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

I've tested this with several users now, sometimes giving them the exact same permissions as I have (owner/admin of both library and flow), and the link still does not open the document for them. I've also checked Outlook settings to make sure that HTML is supported. I'm completely stumped, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jobiewan ,

Could you please make a test on user have full access to the sharepoint library and flow to see if the issue still exists?

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Yes, I've tested with a co-worker who is also a Site Owner and has full rights to the library, and is also a co-owner of the Flow. The link still does not work. 

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@jobiewan 

Does the link work for your users if they go to the Flow approval center and view the approval request there?   I am assuming that your users are clicking the link in an email.

Scott
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Yes, the link in the email is the one that's not working. The link in the approval center does seem to work. 

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@jobiewan 

So that means it is not a permissions issue.  Does it work in the Outlook web client?

Scott
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Aha, yes, the link does work in the web client. So this is a problem with Outlook? Though we are on O365, most people use the desktop apps here in our office, especially for Outlook. Is this a known issue? Do I need to contact our IT dept? Thank you for your help!

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

So, I've expanded my research, and apparently this is a known issue with the Outlook desktop client, which is really disappointing. I put hours of work into making this flow work properly, and because it worked when I tested it on myself, I assumed it was safe to release. Asking users/approvers to use the web app just for approvals is not an acceptable workaround (a usability nightmare, if you ask me!). If anyone has any information as to if/when this issue will be solved, I'd love to hear.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Super User Program Update

Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,326)