Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karen87

Link to item does not open file in sharepoint but in brower

I have set up the following flow 

Karen87_0-1637675017875.png

Specifying the exact folder the file will be in

Karen87_1-1637675056480.png

When the approver gets the mail and clicks on the link it opens in a browser and not the file in sharepoint. I need to file to open in sharepoint so the user can sign it digitally from there. Why is it not opening in sharepoint? Would appreciate assistnac

7 REPLIES 7
mahoneypat
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

One way to do that is to change a setting in your SharePoint doc library to make it use the desktop app.  Just go to the Advanced Settings in Library Settings and look for this.

mahoneypat_0-1637676006707.png

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about the Power Platform, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thanks for the reply Pat. I am fairly new on the online Sharepoint and struggling to get to the setting you are referring to. I do not get the site actions on library tab. 

Karen87_0-1637741941660.png

Karen87_1-1637742005658.png

Is it possible to guide me some more using the images posted here. Thank you

On the Library page, click on the gear icon and choose Library Settings, then Advanced Settings.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about the Power Platform, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

Thank you! found it

I changed the setting 

Karen87_0-1637911612933.png

But the document still opens in the browser

Karen87_1-1637911686755.png

I confirmed same on my end.  Two ways around it:

- use this expression instead, which splits the 'Link to item' at the '?' in the link and returns just the first part.  For me, this opened in the desktop app

- have your users do this - Open file links directly in Office desktop apps (microsoft.com)

split(triggerOutputs()?['body/{Link}'], '?')?[0]

Pat

Thanks Pat, I will try this but will this work for PDF? I am looking at specifically have users open PDF documents so they can add a e-signature

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,265)