cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveD_Prism
Frequent Visitor

Locked File Error - Simple Retry Routine

I have a flow that has multiple Approvals. I am seeing occasional errors at the subsequent "Update File" action (429) relating to the file being "locked" to the previous Approver. This appears to occur due to a delay of the Word App "releasing" the file, this can be addressed with Delay action before the Update File action I suspect.

However, I also have genuine issues when Approvers forget to close the file and so it is actually "locked". I would like to build additional resilience into the flow by having a retry routine around each "Update File" action. I have configured the inbuilt "Retry" options within the action, however these do not appear to be respected or my configuration saved and so don't work! I would appreciate a clear recommendation into a simple and elegant way to handle this issue. I have read much online and there doesn't appear to be a definitive method to achieve what I require and I would imagine is quite a common issue. As you maybe already have ascertained, I am new to Power Automate and so a beginners solution would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DaveD_Prism,

Currently, there is no action that could check the file whether locked when others using the files.

Actually, the method you could have a try is increasing the retry times:

The max retry time is 90 times, and max delay time is 1 day (ISO_8601 format), so you could make the Update file wait for 90 days:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/limits-and-config#retry-policy

Annotation 2020-07-06 130836.jpgAnnotation 2020-07-06 130529.jpg

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DaveD_Prism,

Currently, there is no action that could check the file whether locked when others using the files.

Actually, the method you could have a try is increasing the retry times:

The max retry time is 90 times, and max delay time is 1 day (ISO_8601 format), so you could make the Update file wait for 90 days:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/limits-and-config#retry-policy

Annotation 2020-07-06 130836.jpgAnnotation 2020-07-06 130529.jpg

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Thanks for the feedback - Despite setting a retry option as described above for an "Update file properties" action, (which is the action that is failing in the flow due to a locked file) the flow still fails! I'm at somewhat of a loss as to why! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (66,733)