Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Axeum
Helper I
Helper I

Looking Up ID's (Lengthy Problem)

Good Morning all, 

I've got an issue, I'm hoping you could assist me with. 

CONTEXT: I have roughly 30 SharePoint Lists for various forms our employees must fill out as part of their role, but in my attempts to automate things, I've found myself in a bit of an ID trap. My process is currently as follows...

SharePoint Form - Add New Person,

- CustomID field = ID field

Power Automate Flow - Creates Profile

- Copies Name, Location, CustomID across the remaining 29 odd SharePoint Lists so that lookups (for PowerApp Front End) remain consistent. 

Power Automate Flow - Edit SharePoint List 

- Creates an entry in a duplicate Back Up list for auditing changes

- Updates a Tracking List with Edited date/time and who edited it. 

My problem lies with this Tracking List. Which contains the 'Last Updated' and 'Modified By' columns for each of my 30 Lists. 

Since many SharePoint Lists were created at different stages, there is a difference on each list between its 'ID' field and its 'CustomID' field. 

As part of the 'Edit Item' action within Power Automate, it's requires the 'ID' field but that isn't something I can use since everything is referenced via the 'CustomID' field that I created. 

Axeum_1-1623665405836.png

I guess, what I'm asking for is that within the ID field that's required as part of the 'Edit Item' action, is there a way that I can have it look up the 'ID' based on the 'CustomID'.

1 REPLY 1
tom_riha
Super User II
Super User II

Hello @Axeum ,

you can build a 'lookup' to another SharePoint lists as long as you've got some unique value to connect them. It's done with the 'Get items' action with a 'Filter Query' where you filter only the specific item by the unique value, e.g.

Title eq 'CustomID'

You can check the post I wrote on this topic.

[ If I have answered your question, please Accept the post as a solution. ]
[ If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ]

[ I also blog about Power Automate solutions even for non-IT people. ]

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,370)