cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Looking for some help with a specific flow build

Hi all, I've recently discovered PA as a tool to basically make my job easier and I'm really enthusiastic about it but not very experienced yet. I am the IT coordinator in a high school and use flows to automate certain tasks that I or another employee normally do by hand. One of the things I'm trying to build a flow for is this: Our administration department sends out a newsletter to employees every week. Previously, they'd email everyone with the newsletter as an attachment. We recently switched to Sharepoint and now want to upload all newsletters there instead. What I'm trying to accomplish is this: - The lady from administration uploads the newsletter into a folder on their own Sharepoint-administration page in Word format - That file is automatically concerted into a PDF and stored in a folder on a different Sharepoint, the one all employees have access to. I'm really struggling to build a flow that does this. I suppose I start with the trigger "when an item is created in a folder" but then what should my next step be? I can't find an option "convert to PDF" for Sharepoint. There is one for Onedrive, that could also be an option. But even if I just select "copy file" I need to identify that exact file. How can I make it so that the newly added file is automatically selected and either converted first or otherwise just copied to another folder on another Sharepoint page? I really hope someone can give me some tips! I'm very eager to learn, but finding it hard to know where to start. Sorry if I'm not being entirely clear in my story, English is not my first language.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Looking for some help with a specific flow build

Hi @Merelvd

Yes, as you said, there is no any function in SharePoint connector could convert the word Document to a PDF document.

You could take a try create the file in OneDrive when the file is created in the with sharepoint, then you could convert the file to PDF, and create the new PDF file in a new folder in the sharepoint list, the screenshot for the flow as below:

1.png

Best Regards,

Alice

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Merelvd

Yes, as you said, there is no any function in SharePoint connector could convert the word Document to a PDF document.

You could take a try create the file in OneDrive when the file is created in the with sharepoint, then you could convert the file to PDF, and create the new PDF file in a new folder in the sharepoint list, the screenshot for the flow as below:

1.png

Best Regards,

Alice

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

@Thank you!! this is really really helpful. It works like a charm! I experience one problem though: when one of the original files is modified, the flow works fine (i.e. it makes a copy to a onedrive folder, then converts to pdf), but during the last step (create file to Sharepoint folder), it gives an error: "a file with the name X already exists". How can I make sure the file is replaced/overwrite the file? 

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Merelvd ,

You could check if the pdf file is existed in the folder before creating the new pdf file in sharepoint folder in your flow.

If the file name exists, delete it then add the new pdf file, if not, add the pdf file directly.

1.png2.png

Best Regards,

Alice

Highlighted

@v-alzhan-msft So sorry to bother you one last time! I've edited the flow, but it gives the following error: 

Is this something I can fix myself? 

Merelvd_0-1600771388097.png

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Merelvd ,

Please take a try to leave the Limit Entries To Folder field blank in the Get files action.

Best Regards,

Alice

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,693)