cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Lookup drop down value and return ID: Flow sends email on MS Forms submission

So my flow works fine: triggered on new MS Forms submission, it sends an email with the values needed.

But some of the values need to be the IDs of, say, the request type involved.  The MS Form shows  a text drop down of types of request. I want the Flow to look up the text and return the numeric ID. That ID is an ID needed for a case management system. Currently this is achieved in Flow by declaring a variable 'TypeID' then using Switch to set that variable. 

But that's not sustainable. Too many lookups, too many items, things change. There has to be a better way. Ideally just a spreadsheet in SharePoint that I can lookup from text to number. It seems like an ordinary enough thing to want to do.  How on earth would I go about that? Any suggestions gratefully recieved. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DWeeb,

You could create a SharePoint list like this:

Annotation 2019-09-02 111602.pngThen create a Flow like the following:Annotation 2019-09-02 111551.png

So, you could get the corresponding TypeID according to the Type name.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DWeeb,

You could create a SharePoint list like this:

Annotation 2019-09-02 111602.pngThen create a Flow like the following:Annotation 2019-09-02 111551.png

So, you could get the corresponding TypeID according to the Type name.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

This works great! Many sincere thanks v-litu-msft.  It was simple-ish to implement.

(Main challenge is working out what sharepoint has called your columns: turns out it uses some randomiser to generate a name, and that sticks even if you try to rename. This is critical in the filter statement. To find out what your stuff is called, either go to the classic view and look at the sort values in the url, or do an import query into Excel. Who knew.

Secondary challenge is getting the data to appear in your Flow. Best guess is to wait a few hours after last attempt at renaming anything before trying. Adding views won't fix it, only time.)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,557)