cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meetner
Regular Visitor

Lookup functionality

Is there a way to vlookup or match a unique number from a file name saved in SharePoint to a list saved elsewhere?  I'm trying to work through an approvals process and have 3 approvers.  The last two approvers are always the same.  However, the first approver will change based on the customer.  I was hoping to connect to a table or list that would be able to contain the 1st approvers info and the flow could start with them before moving to the other approvers.  Or, is there a way to manually enter their email address to start the approval process?  

I should state that I currently begin this approval process with a file upload to a specific folder in Sharepoint. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RezaDorrani
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @Meetner 

you can create a list in sharepoint which contains the approver names and the customer names

Then use the GetItems action to fetch the approver for the current customer

You can us the filter query to get the respective list item

Then start the approval process for the approver obtained from the above action 

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RezaDorrani
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @Meetner 

you can create a list in sharepoint which contains the approver names and the customer names

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

@RezaDorrani wrote:

Hi @Meetner 

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

This is your best bet for doing this, I've done the same within my environment several times over. We build Flow-specific SharePoint lists, and it works really, really well. For how to filter, review the following documentation: 

Is there a simple way to import from Excel to create the list (for initial creation) or to link for maintenance over time?

@Brad_Groux @RezaDorrani 

I'm confused at to how I would reference my sharepoint list with the Customer Number that I would use in my file name also saved in sharepoint.  Can you offer suggestions on this with examples?  I'm not familiar with OData filters.

@Meetner wrote:

Is there a simple way to import from Excel to create the list (for initial creation) or to link for maintenance over time?

Here are a few Flow templates that can create SharePoint List items from Excel, and one that can update a Excel spreadsheet when a List item is added. These would be good starting points:

@Meetner wrote:

@Brad_Groux @RezaDorrani 

I'm confused at to how I would reference my sharepoint list with the Customer Number that I would use in my file name also saved in sharepoint.  Can you offer suggestions on this with examples?  I'm not familiar with OData filters.

The logical building blocks of Flow starts with Conditions and Expressions: 

Microsoft Learn has an entire collection of beginner to advanced free training paths for Flow, and what you are seeking to accomplish is covered pretty much start to finish in the 15 modules of the Build more complex flows with Microsoft Flow path. 

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MSFTBizAppsLaunchEvent

Experience what’s next for Power Virtual Agents

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Users online (34,813)