cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bclarkuncc
Level: Powered On

MS Flow + Obtaining all data from Field Set To "Append Changes to Existing Text"

I am trying to find a way to obtain all previous information entered into a Sharepoint list item field set to "Append Changes to Existing Text".  Any thoughts? 

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Re: MS Flow + Obtaining all data from Field Set To "Append Changes to Existing Text"

You'd have to be more specific for us to offer any direct insight. What you are seeking to accomplish from the limited information you have provided can certainly be done.

I'd encourage you to visit the Flow Templates and search "SharePoint List" to see many templates that work with SharePoint Lists, and use those as learning guidance and/or a starting template and build from there. 

You can make it as simple, or as complex as you need. As an example, I did a quick Bing search and found this blog post, Retrieving single item from sharepoint list in microsoft flow.

If you could provide an expanded screenshot of your Flow and steps, and of any detailed error messages you're receiving we could likely better assist you.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

bclarkuncc

Re: MS Flow + Obtaining all data from Field Set To "Append Changes to Existing Text"

More Details:

I have created a column/field in Sharepoint as Type "Multiple Lines of Text".  I have also enabled the setting "Append Changes to Existing Text" to track/maintain entries into this field as it is updated.  The, in MS FLow, I have build a flow that sends an email when a condition in Sharepoint is triggered.  The event triggers correctly and my email sends, but for the field referenced it is only sending the most current update.  I would like to get all updates ever entered for this field.  I believe Sharepoint stores them as different versions.  Does that help?

Super User
Super User

You would like the data from the field being updated to also show previous data updates - aka the version history? Out of the box, you can't pull previous version data from a SharePoint list item.

You could create an "Update Tracker" SharePoint List that adds a new item each and every time an item is updated on the first SharePoint List.

Outside of that, your only real option is some heavy lifting with SharePoint's API for grabbing the version history of an item. This can be done with Flow, but is outside of the realm of this help forum. See here for more:

If you could provide an expanded screenshot of your Flow and steps, and of any detailed error messages you're receiving we could likely better assist you.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

bclarkuncc

So...I ended up getting the version information I needed using the flow below.  The only issue I am having is I lose the context of who/when an item was updated (Sharepoint shows this in the field).  Any thoughts? 

Untitled.png

Highlighted
danfoxley-tc
Level: Power Up

@bclarkuncc 
Were you able to get the dates? 

Can you share how you got the JSon Schema, screenshots?

Thanks,

Dan

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,750)