cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
h_dunnehowrie
Helper III
Helper III

(MS Forms > SharePoint List) Condition which checks and counts for existing items in a SharePoint list

I have a flow that creates a new item for a form submission if the date in one of the columns is Tuesday - Saturday and send the form details to a shared inbox as an email is the column date is Monday or Sunday. This is working nicely. However, I also need to add in a second condition for if sent Tuesday - Saturday that check if there are existing items in the same SharePoint list and counts how many for the same column date (i.e. over 6 then send email, if 6 or under then add item to SP list).

I have tried adding in a new condition but I can't see how to add the criteria as this a check on data in the SharePoint List and not a check on the form data. 

How do I add steps in that will allow for the SP list data to be referenced for the condition query?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Rhiassuring
Super User
Super User

So - if date is Tuesday - Saturday, AND there are over 6, send email.

If the date is Tuesday - Saturday, AND there are under 6, add item to SP list.

Your first step will remain the same, whatever you're doing now to determine the dates.

Then, you'll just use "Get Items" and use the Filter Query on the SHarePoint list, something like ColumnDate eq 'Dynamic Content From Form' (where 'dynamic content from form' is the date you're referencing in the form.) 

Next, you'll use a condition, with "length()" looking at the Output from the Get Items. This will count how many items you've returned. So if length() is greater than or equal to 6, go down the "Yes" path and send an email. If no, go down the "No" path and Create SP List Item.

Did this answer your question? Please mark it as the solution.
Did it contribute positively towards finding the final solution? Please give it a thumbs up.

I answer questions on the forum for 2-3 hours every Thursday!

View solution in original post

Rhiassuring
Super User
Super User

Try this: 

length(outputs('Get_items')?['body/value'])

Did it contribute positively towards finding the final solution? Please give it a thumbs up.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Rhiassuring
Super User
Super User

So - if date is Tuesday - Saturday, AND there are over 6, send email.

If the date is Tuesday - Saturday, AND there are under 6, add item to SP list.

Your first step will remain the same, whatever you're doing now to determine the dates.

Then, you'll just use "Get Items" and use the Filter Query on the SHarePoint list, something like ColumnDate eq 'Dynamic Content From Form' (where 'dynamic content from form' is the date you're referencing in the form.) 

Next, you'll use a condition, with "length()" looking at the Output from the Get Items. This will count how many items you've returned. So if length() is greater than or equal to 6, go down the "Yes" path and send an email. If no, go down the "No" path and Create SP List Item.

h_dunnehowrie
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks @Rhiassuring . Unfortunately I can't get the query filter right on Get Items step. I've tried ColumnDate eq '[date field]' but the flow is failing. Any suggestions on what else I can try for the query filter to link together the date field from the form to the date field in the SP list?

h_dunnehowrie_0-1700660849901.png

h_dunnehowrie
Helper III
Helper III

Sorry, I meant to add that I have added in the exact name of the SP list column, so my line in filter query is currently -

[date column] eq '[form date field value]'

I just realised the above screen shot is misleading.

h_dunnehowrie
Helper III
Helper III

@Rhiassuring Sorry, got it to work now by using Title instead of Date (as this column is also the title column). However, the issue I'm currently having is the second condition. This is the condition line currently

h_dunnehowrie_1-1700665781682.png

h_dunnehowrie_0-1700665717179.png

Thanks in advance! I can't work out what I'm doing wrong... my SP list column is Date and it's also the Title column.

h_dunnehowrie
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @Rhiassuring  I've also tried with length(outputs('Get items')) but has the same failed result.

h_dunnehowrie_0-1700667830841.png

Rhiassuring
Super User
Super User

Try this: 

length(outputs('Get_items')?['body/value'])

h_dunnehowrie
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @Rhiassuring, thanks for this. Unfortunately, same results - 

h_dunnehowrie_0-1700734087914.png

nothing included although the criteria on the test was met. The fact that neither options were successful tells me there is still something I am doing wrong...

Rhiassuring
Super User
Super User

The issue here isn't your condition, it's that your Get Items is coming back empty. So let's focus in on your filter query there.

You'd said earlier that it was working out - has it been changed since then? 

h_dunnehowrie
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks @Rhiassuring. Yes, I can see that is correct as I just checked and 0 output from get items. So, I think I thought it was working as no errors, but there is no data being returned. I thought perhaps it was still the issue as the column with the date being the title column but I tried to run get items with a different column (with duplicate dates) but this also retrieved 0 outputs. 

h_dunnehowrie
Helper III
Helper III

@Rhiassuring  I've just realised something. It is correct that for some branches no results would be returned as what we want to happen is if there are existing items in the SP list which match the date over a certain limit (6) then we want an email sent, but if under 6 then it may well be that there are no items in the SP list that match at all. That is what we want. So, the extra logic we want is if there is under 6 OR is no records matching the criteria in 'get items' then create item in SP list. I tried changing the true/false to this so that the logic could include if no items in get items selection, but it didn't work - 

h_dunnehowrie_0-1700746486844.png

*changed criteria to 12 as this is what's actually needed and not 6 now...

h_dunnehowrie
Helper III
Helper III

@Rhiassuring  I managed to get it to work! So, I played around A LOT with the condition lines and finally this worked - 

length(outputs('Get_items')?['body/value']) is less than 12
or
length(outputs('Get_items')?['body/value']) is less than 1

h_dunnehowrie_0-1700763603360.png

It seems mad to me that 'less than 12' wouldn't pick up 0 results as well, but never mind! I got there in the end. Thanks for all of your help and problem solving. I think I understand how power automate works a bit better. 

Rhiassuring
Super User
Super User

Well done! And, I agree with your "0 IS less than 12.." but I guess "null" isn't a thing it can read. Interesting. I haven't run into that before. You've taught me something, too!

Helpful resources

Announcements

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook today!

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Copilot Studio Community. We can't wait for you to share your expertise and your experience!    Join us for an amazing opportunity where you'll be one of the first to contribute to the Copilot Cookbook—your ultimate guide to mastering Microsoft Copilot. Whether you're seeking inspiration or grappling with a challenge while crafting apps, you probably already know that Copilot Cookbook is your reliable assistant, offering a wealth of tips and tricks at your fingertips--and we want you to add your expertise. What can you "cook" up?   Click this link to get started: https://aka.ms/CS_Copilot_Cookbook_Gallery   Don't miss out on this exclusive opportunity to be one of the first in the Community to share your app creation journey with Copilot. We'll be announcing a Cookbook Challenge very soon and want to make sure you one of the first "cooks" in the kitchen.   Don't miss your moment--start submitting in the Copilot Cookbook Gallery today!     Thank you,  Engagement Team

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Check Out the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community.  We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!    

Welcome to the Power Automate Community

You are now a part of a fast-growing vibrant group of peers and industry experts who are here to network, share knowledge, and even have a little fun.   Now that you are a member, you can enjoy the following resources:   Welcome to the Community   News & Announcements: The is your place to get all the latest news around community events and announcements. This is where we share with the community what is going on and how to participate.  Be sure to subscribe to this board and not miss an announcement.   Get Help with Power Automate Forums: If you're looking for support with any part of Power Automate, our forums are the place to go. From General Power Automate forums to Using Connectors, Building Flows and Using Flows.  You will find thousands of technical professionals, and Super Users with years of experience who are ready and eager to answer your questions. You now have the ability to post, reply and give "kudos" on the Power Automate community forums. Make sure you conduct a quick search before creating a new post because your question may have already been asked and answered. Galleries: The galleries are full of content and can assist you with information on creating a flow in our Webinars and Video Gallery, and the ability to share the flows you have created in the Power Automate Cookbook.  Stay connected with the Community Connections & How-To Videos from the Microsoft Community Team. Check out the awesome content being shared there today.   Power Automate Community Blog: Over the years, more than 700 Power Automate Community Blog articles have been written and published by our thriving community. Our community members have learned some excellent tips and have keen insights on the future of process automation. In the Power Automate Community Blog, you can read the latest Power Automate-related posts from our community blog authors around the world. Let us know if you'd like to become an author and contribute your own writing — everything Power Automate-related is welcome.   Community Support: Check out and learn more about Using the Community for tips & tricks. Let us know in the Community Feedback  board if you have any questions or comments about your community experience. Again, we are so excited to welcome you to the Microsoft Power Automate community family. Whether you are brand new to the world of process automation or you are a seasoned Power Automate veteran - our goal is to shape the community to be your 'go to' for support, networking, education, inspiration and encouragement as we enjoy this adventure together.     Power Automate Community Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Tuesday Tip | How to Report Spam in Our Community

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   Today's Tip: How to Report Spam in Our Community We strive to maintain a professional and helpful community, and part of that effort involves keeping our platform free of spam. If you encounter a post that you believe is spam, please follow these steps to report it: Locate the Post: Find the post in question within the community.Kebab Menu: Click on the "Kebab" menu | 3 Dots, on the top right of the post.Report Inappropriate Content: Select "Report Inappropriate Content" from the menu.Submit Report: Fill out any necessary details on the form and submit your report.   Our community team will review the report and take appropriate action to ensure our community remains a valuable resource for everyone.   Thank you for helping us keep the community clean and useful!

Users online (5,044)