cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kmmille25
Frequent Visitor

MS Forms into SPO List (people column) using Power Automate

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new here, so please pardon my lack of proper terminology.

We are using an MS flow to automate the entry of information in an MS Form into an MS List. Everything works pretty well, but we encountered an issue that caused the Flow to fail multiple times yesterday. The form has a section to enter your name:

Form.png

This information is mapped to the list here - specifically a 'people' column.

List.png

In our test runs, everything was fine - but we notice an odd issue.

Since the 'people' column references people within our o365 Tenant, if someone enters their name and it's slightly off from what's in AD, then the flow fails. For example, User Robert Williams enters his name, email address, phone - etc. The flow will fail because he's actually Robert R Williams in AD. Second example: Pete McDude enters his name, but it fails again because he's actually 'Peter McDude'. 

I'm sure I could just delete this column, format it to a single line of text, and avoid the issue altogether - but I like using the people column and for this application, it's a nice thing to have. The other thing I considered is that MS Flow automatically records the name of the user who submits the form. Is it possible to use that in the Flow instead of having the user type their name entirely?

Here's what the flow looks like:

Flow.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Caspar_Rubin
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hey,

you can simply use the dynamic value "Responders' Email" in the Person Claims Field.

SharePoint Person/Group fields Claims accept email values. 

Responders' Email is an automatic field and exists in every MS Form. You don't need those text fields that people have to fill out with their name, email or whatever.

2022-09-08_18h36_31.png

Let us know if it works,

cheers

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Caspar_Rubin
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hey,

you can simply use the dynamic value "Responders' Email" in the Person Claims Field.

SharePoint Person/Group fields Claims accept email values. 

Responders' Email is an automatic field and exists in every MS Form. You don't need those text fields that people have to fill out with their name, email or whatever.

2022-09-08_18h36_31.png

Let us know if it works,

cheers

Thanks, Caspar!

That's exactly what I was looking for. I tested it, and it works great. On a semi-related note, I changed the 'enter a date' to use the 'submission time' dynamic item. It works, but there doesn't seem to be anything in MS Forms that provides the actual time stamp that includes minutes or hours - only the shorthand date like 9/8/2022 instead of 09/08/2022 @ 3:12 PM EST.

Is there any workaround to get the actual 'time' something is submitted instead of just the date?

Thanks, Caspar!

That's exactly what I was looking for. I tested it, and it works great. On a semi-related note, I changed the 'enter a date' to use the 'submission time' dynamic item. It works, but there doesn't seem to be anything in MS Forms that provides the actual time stamp that includes minutes or hours - only the shorthand date like 9/8/2022 instead of 09/08/2022 @ 3:12 PM EST.

Is there any workaround to get the actual 'time' something is submitted instead of just the date?

Caspar_Rubin
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hey,

what I usually do is use the "Convert time zone" action to format my timestamps and then use that dynamic value (Converted time) inside the rest of my actions.

For me, I have to use UTC as Source and my time zone (UTC+1) as Destination.

In Format String you can either use one of the pre-defined values or go to the bottom and select "Enter custom value" and enter your custom string. For example dd.MM.yyyy HH:mm

Caspar_Rubin_0-1662661139058.png

cheers

Hi Caspar,

I was able to get the hours and minutes into the list using the time conversion - but for some reason, it's showing up as the wrong time.

Here's what it looks like:

Flow Time issues.jpg

The format looks good, but I'm on Eastern Standard Time so it's 12:56 PM and not 05:56 AM.

Convert Time.jpg

Then the Converted time is added as a dynamic item under the 'Create Item' action.

In the debug - it looks correct:

Time Debug.jpg

Create Item Date Reported.jpg

However, in the outputs:

Create Item Outputs.jpg

It looks like it's bringing in the wrong value. I'm a bit confused on how to get this resolved.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,752)