cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Atronin
Level: Powered On

Make a column auto update by Parent Folder Value

I am setting up a new Document Library to organize several different types of Documents. I have a Folder View and a Metadata view. I am using a column named "Section" to sort the metadata view. I want to automate the Section column value based off of the parent folder name of the file.

I understand that this can be done in this way. But I want it to be dynamic and adjust to when new Folders and files are created to automatically change the "Section" column.

2019-05-31_9-41-29.png

Currently the Section column is not tied to any lists, I created the column in the settings like this:

2019-05-31_9-43-42.png

I am hoping to using Flows, but when digging I cannot seem to find the value for that type of column, only columns in lists.

What is the best way for me to accomplish this?

5 REPLIES 5
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Make a column auto update by Parent Folder Value

HI @Atronin , 

Please refer to the screenshot below:

Just one thing, are you defining a section column on the folders too? What I mean is on what criteria of the folder are you trying to implement the section feature. 

Picture1.png

Hope This Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Atronin ,

Could you share a screenshot of the Flow configuration?

If you want to get Parent Folder Name, you could consider using the following method to get Parent Folder Name.

Expression reference:

split(triggerBody()?['{Path}'],'/')[sub(length(split(triggerBody()?['{Path}'],'/')),2)]

Image reference:

7.PNG

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Atronin

@yashag2255 

I am using the Section Column to show a metadata view by file, the folders do not require it.

I was trying this out but I do not get the same options you do in the last part of the flow

2019-06-03_10-25-10.png

Atronin

@v-bacao-msft 

Ok I reviewed your suggestion and I thnk this might work, however I do not see Title or section in my choices below.  Can you help make them appear?

2019-06-03_16-11-15.png

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Atronin ,

Thank for your reply.

Please try to update the connection or recreate a similar Flow.

I did a test on my side. If there is a similar Column in the Library, these columns will be displayed in the Update file properties action.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,080)