cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Manually trigger a document approval flow

We are generating maintenance procedures and all documents are stored in the one Document Library.  Each document has a seven step approval process, after each is approved the Word Document Status site column is updated.  I don't want to trigger approval every time a document is modified, I want the user to determine exactly when the document is ready for the next review.

How can I manually trigger an approval workflow on a document in a SharePoint document library?

2 REPLIES 2
DevendraV
Resolver I
Resolver I

@Anonymous, you might need to create multiple flows for each approval process and ask the user to start these flows once the document is ready for next process. You need to "For Selected item" to perform the manual start. 

Another option is, you can also do all approvals process in single workflow with conditions using status and once it is Approved at a certain level then you can terminate that current instance of the workflow and update the status as per approver action. Every time users start a new instance, it will check the status and execute only that section of the flow. 

Basic_User007
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

How did you get on building your flow?

I have the exact same business scenario and looking at different options to help get this to work - going to explore moving documents from folders which help map out where they are in the process and to use as a trigger with data pointing back to a SP list to track overall status. So would be good to see what you ended up with and how successful it was in meeting your business objective. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (4,715)