Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cgru3eejc2
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Minimal CDS setup required for Approval Flows

Hi,

Can someone help me with steps for a minimal Power Platform environment setup to create Approval Flows? Approval Flows require a CDS database - what are the minimal requirements and steps required to set in CDS to allow Approval in Flows (not covering Power Apps, just Flows in focus right now).

The environment should NOT be visible and accessible for everyone, so restricted to (licensed users) added to a AAD security group.

Done steps:

• Our users have an E1 or E3 license
    • Power Automate Flow and Common Database is activated for the E1/E3 license (Power Apps currently not)
  • An AAD security group is created and the targeted users are members of this group.
  • CDS database is created for the environment
  • The AAD security group is added to the CDS database to restrict the environment access

But I guess I miss something or some configuration steps.

What else - which settings are additionally required? Do we need to create a "team" in CDS to assign "Environment Maker" or "Common Data Service User" security roles?

When adding addional users to the AAD security group the environment should automatically get visible and accessible for them, right?

Thanks for any help.

Stefan

3 REPLIES 3
cgru3eejc2
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Followed these instructions:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/control-user-access

But somehow the environment does not get visible for the users of this security group - even waiting more than 24hours.

Is assigning the security group enough / all what needs to be done so that users can create Approval Flows? Or is something additional required?

Hi @cgru3eejc2,

Have you added license the user when you create the user account. You must assign a license to every user account that you want to access the online service.

Create users and assign security roles - Power Platform | Microsoft Docs

For step-by-step instructions to use user licenses, see Assign licenses to users.

For step-by-step instructions to use Power Apps per app plans, see Power Apps per app plans.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

cgru3eejc2
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hi @v-litu-msft 

thanks for the information.

All users already have an E1 or E3 license assigned and CDS is activated in them.

I now created a "teams group" (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/manage-teams#about-group-teams) for a security group and assigning this teams group the "Environment Maker" CDS role.

Now after an uncertain amount of time (more than 24h??) and the users are now visible in "All Users" in the environment.

They can now also create an Approval flow but I face already the next challenge where I wonder how others do that and if there is no best practice.

The Approval is created and visible in the Approvals Actions items in Power Automate BUT not e-Mail is sent to the defined users to approve or reject it.

Seems I'm still missing something.

Regards,

Stefan

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,264)