cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
notj Post Patron
Post Patron

Missing Dynamic Content options

In one Flow I have all these options I can target inside a loop operating on the value of a Get Files(Properties only) action.

2020-01-16 07_49_34-Window.png

If I go to my other Flow, and try to duplicate this functionality I am missing all of these options.

2020-01-16 07_49_58-Window.png

Can someone explain what I did wrong here? I obviously don't understand some specific piece of this.

21 REPLIES 21
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Missing Dynamic Content options

Did you perhaps add the For Each loop manually in the second example and try to load one of those values into a condition in the first example, which would automatically nest it inside a For Each Loop?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
notj Post Patron
Post Patron

Hmm, yea probably? I was duplicating the "working" one in a new workflow so I think I added each action directly. That affects what's available to subsequent actions?

notj Post Patron
Post Patron

OK, @Pstork1 , here's without me adding the for each manually. How can I target the same properties available to me in the other Flow?

2020-01-16 08_01_00-Window.png

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

You can always type the JSON representation of the value into the Expressions tab in dynamic content.  If you hover over the items in the other flow it will tell you what the JSON should be.  Not seeing the entries in Dynamic content doesn't mean that they aren't available.  It just means that dynamic content is filtering them because they aren't the right type or something.  The filter is pretty aggressive so it often filters out entries that can still be used.  But I can't really explain why its happening in your case.

notj Post Patron
Post Patron

@Pstork1 I tried that as well. Unfortunately, it tells me the expression is invalid.

items('ApplytoEachItems')?['{IsCheckedOut'}]

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I would try rebuilding it again.  Something just isn't right.  That should work, although I'm not sure it will work for IsCheckedOut since that's a function and not a field.

notj Post Patron
Post Patron

@Pstork1 What should I rebuild? The loop or the whole flow?

"Something just isn't right" is about 50% of my experience with Flows so far.

I know that I can target IsCheckedOut in the condition because I did it successfully in the other Flow. That's why I'm recreating it now for another Flow.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Everything after the Get Files.  Something in that action isn't working right.

notj Post Patron
Post Patron

@Pstork1 I've deleted and rebuilt the loop, and I've also started a whole new Flow. Neither will show the content.

The only difference is that my loop for the Get Items is inside a loop for Get Libraries, where in the working Flow I'm just targeting one library directly, so there's only one loop.

Is the loop really breaking my ability to target the properties of the files?

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

The double loop is definitely why you aren't seeing the dynamic content.  That doesn't mean its not available, just that the JSON involved is more complex.  Is the inner Get Items using the output of the Get Libraries?  I'll have to test it to see exactly what the JSON should be, but those values should still be available.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Ok, I just put together a quick test.  Here's what I found.

1) The outer loop is getting all lists and libraries.  So the inner loop is only showing the dynamic content that is the same for any list and library.  That's why its filtering.

2) {IsCheckedOut} doesn't exist for all lists and libraries.  So if you are looking at the wrong loop you get an error saying the JSON name you entered is invalid because that property doesn't exist.

So I built a setup with the following:

• An Outer loop that gets all lists and libraries.
  • A condition that checks for a specific library by name. That was easier to do at this point than check whether its a library or not, but that should work as well.
  • In the yes of that condition I did a Get Files (Properties Only) and an Inner loop to process all the files.
  • Inside that inner loop I checked for {IsCheckedOut} using the following JSON 'items('Apply_to_each_4')?['{IsCheckedOut}']

It all worked as expected.

'

notj Post Patron
Post Patron

@Pstork1 I didn't think to have to do that because in my Get All Lists and Libraries settings I specify type 101, which is document library. I assumed(bad thing to do with Power Automate, it seems) that I would see all properties available to the Document Library type.

So basically my Type 101 is going to be pointless since I have to setup a subsequent condition to check if it's a library again.

Could you screenshot what your process looks like that wound up working?

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Filtering by Type 101 isn't useless.  The problem is that the filter is applied at runtime and the dynamic content is displayed at design time.  So it doesn't take into account that you are filtering to get just the libraries.  That's why you don't see the other properties.

If you are filtering I'm not sure why the JSON you entered didn't work.  I think yours is the same as mine and mine works fine.

notj Post Patron
Post Patron

@Pstork1 Can you screenshot what worked for you? It seems like no matter my configuration of composing, appending, or looping is letting the Flow at design time recognize that I'm targeting only Document Libraries so I never get access to those properties. 

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Here's what worked for me.

screenshot.png

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

That's the point.  It won't recognize at design time that you are targeting libraries only since the filter isn't applied until Run time.

notj Post Patron
Post Patron

@Pstork1 for your Get Files action, did you specify the Documents library from the dynamic content, or did you use the display name from the Get Lists action? 

I've been beating my head against the wall for hours with this. 

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I used the site address from a variable with the SiteUrl in it and the Name property for the Library, instead of Display Name.  Name should be the Inner name, but Display Name should work as well.

screenshot.png

Also, Make sure you use the Enter Custom Value option in the dropdown to insert it.

notj Post Patron
Post Patron

@Pstork1 I'm still stuck on this. What you're doing doesn't work for me. It's driving me nuts.

You said in your condition inside the inner loop you used: 'items('Apply_to_each_4')?['{IsCheckedOut}']

I'm using: 'items('Apply_to_each_3')?['{IsCheckedOut}']

I get this: 2020-01-17 07_22_17-Window.png

Here's how that whole section looks:
2020-01-17 07_24_10-Window.png

Edit: I realize now that I was copy and pasting your ' at the beginning and that was messing it up. 😑

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Automate Community!

firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Users online (6,972)