Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeyCas
Helper I
Helper I

Missing data after union function to sidestep Sort function

Hello, 

I am building a flow for work linked to a Microsoft form, the goal of which is to provide my managers a To Do list of action items. 

I originally created 1 array variable to include all desired responses, not knowing I couldn't apply a sort function to the outcome. Since I need the To Do list to be presented in a specific order, I ended up changing the flow to work with 1 array variable to 15 array variables to coincide with the 15 sections of the To Do list (the line items per section are scrambled but that's ok).

From there, I tried to use the union function using "Compose" in "Data Operations" but for some reason, I lose some of the action items. This would have been an ideal solution so that I could get all my data "sorted" in one table vs. my current solution of creating 15 HTML tables (all with different column widths, which looks a tad unprofessional) and pasting them one on top of the other in my email to my manager(s) (see below) . 

How can I make it so that I have one table with no missing data? I want to avoid attaching excel documents as I plan on transitioning this from an email sent to a text message sent. 

MikeyCas_1-1642863665722.png

MikeyCas_0-1642863598194.png

Thank you, 

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @MikeyCas 

Thanks for the screen share and explaining your requirement. This is an interesting question and I thought of doing a tutorial video about this. Might be useful for other community members as well.

In my video I explains the technique to collect all Microsoft form responses and apply the custom filters. If you have any questions please let me know.

https://youtu.be/dZ3JFlBi_eY

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
Power Automate Video Tutorials

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
abm
Super User
Super User

Hi @MikeyCas 

Without seeing your flow and data its difficult to give you an exact answer. Please see below blog

Power Automate HTML Table Styling – Ryan Maclean (ryanmaclean365.com)

Have a look and see what you could do with your data. If you still need help please let me know.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Hello @abm 

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. Here is a few snippets of my flow: 

MikeyCas_0-1642882973228.png

MikeyCas_1-1642882992562.png

MikeyCas_2-1642883126669.png

MikeyCas_3-1642883211247.png

I am basically initializing a bunch of array variables to help sort/structure my data. Then I go through each question, and when the answer is (for the most part) "No", then it is appended to 1 of the 15 array variables (see the example above for Condition 6 - all is structured the same way). Ideally, I would rather have 1 table with all the action items vs. many tables. Once the email is sent, the flow is done. 

Thank you,

Michael 

Hi @MikeyCas 

Can't you append all into one array? I can see you have same headings you shown in your previous posts.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
MikeyCas
Helper I
Helper I

hi @abm 

I originally had it appended into one array but because power automate doesn't have a sort feature and I need the results presented in certain order, I had to break it up into many array variables. Now, I want to merge the data from these variables into one table. I tried with the union formula, but I keep losing data. 

Hi @MikeyCas 

There is no direct function for sorting array in Power Automate. Here is a good article for a workaround.

How to implement Sort with Microsoft Flow in 3 actions within a loop — John Liu .NET

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
MikeyCas
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @abm 

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the post provided but is there no way to merge the data appended in my variables with the union function or another means without losing data? 

Hi @MikeyCas 

Please check your email?

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

@abm I set up a meeting for us to meet, but you did not show. Is everything ok? 

Hi @MikeyCas 

Thanks for the screen share and explaining your requirement. This is an interesting question and I thought of doing a tutorial video about this. Might be useful for other community members as well.

In my video I explains the technique to collect all Microsoft form responses and apply the custom filters. If you have any questions please let me know.

https://youtu.be/dZ3JFlBi_eY

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

@abm this is amazing! Thank you so much! 

Thanks. If you have any more questions please let me know. Hope its helpful.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations 768x460.png

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022- Season 2 has kicked off!

Users online (5,138)