cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mariajessa
Level: Powered On

Modified By

Hi,

Is there a way that I could show the last user who created/modified an item? In SP, the modified by shows the flow author. any workaround/suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Modified By

Hi @mariajessa 

Can you share details on the trigger that you are using? If it is of type manual then you can define the flow to use the connection of the person who triggered the flow and then the modified column will show the person who triggered the flow. 

If not and you have provided a service account type, it is not possible to identify the user that triggered the flow (for example in case of when an item is created or modified etc. and you modify the item in the flow then it will save the last modified person that will be the flow author)

If you can share more details, we may be able to assist you better with this. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Highlighted
mariajessa

below is the screenshot of my flow. This is a very simple flow. I just need to update the DOCID once the file is created in the library, and the user who last modified the file. Thus, I used the trigger as below. I tried to create a column "Last Modified" and put in "Modified By DisplayName" to see if it could be a work around. But it's showing the same as "Modified By". 

mariajessa

modifiedby.JPGmodified by

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @mariajessa,

If other users modified the File, the Last-Modified by will be the other users. I have confirmed on my side with my colleague.

Annotation 2020-01-22 145743.png

You could also check the version history of the File:

Annotation 2020-01-22 145822.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mariajessa

Hi @v-litu-msft ,

Since I just need to get the DOCID updated and the last user who modified the file, I tried to use the trigger "When a new file is created (properties only). Modified by will be updated accordingly if the file is updated anyway. I encountered three issues with this new flow. The outputs are inconsistent.

1. Flow is not triggered even after I refresh the page, thus DOCID is blank, Created by and Modified show the same user. DOCID is not updated at all. 

2. Flow is triggered, DOCID is updated, created by and modified by are the same user

3. When i try to run the flow using Test button, DOCID is updated, but Created by and Modified by are different. Created by is the author of the file and Modified by is the author of the flow

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @mariajessa,

Sorry for the late reply, do you still exist the problem?

I tested on my side but not find the same issue, the creator is not the same as the editor.

Maybe you could have a try to add a delay action after the trigger to make sure the file is edited already, then get file properties again by using Get file properties action.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,113)