Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alberto1
Advocate I
Advocate I

Modifying Created By on SharePoint List with Power Automate

Hello,

I have a flow connecting a Microsoft Form to a SharePoint List.  Now every time a form is submitted (trigger) and the flow runs, I end up being the creator of the request under "Created By" on SharePoint, as I am the creator of the flow. What I need is the "Created By" field to be updated with the Form Submitter's name/account instead of mine. This would allow me to enable Item-Level Permissions on SharePoint and every Form Submitter would only be able to see or edit his/her own record on the list.

SharePoint1.PNG

I found the link below while searching, but as I'm not a developer, could anyone explain the steps to me, and if this would work?
If not is there an alternative solution?

http://johnliu.net/blog/2019/2/flowninja-hack-78-modifying-modified-by-and-modified-time-with-micros...

Thank you!

21 REPLIES 21
lukasz2
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I am trying to use this solution. in conjunction with item-level permissions. I was able to recreate this flow and it works at first glance.
so it change author and editor to form responder

this is my output:

API call.png

but unfortunately this user still does not see this item when I have item level permission enabled.
so ive done some research and seems like some values were changed

I checked the element link  before and after request  - ....._api/web/lists/getbytitle('MyFancyListName')/items(44)

I can't find the "Author" and "editor" values ​​there but I see there is "AuthorId" and "EditorId" and it looks like my request is changing these values. because when I'm not doing the request, it's 11 and if request is performed it is changed into 10 and i know that it is correct user ID because I also have form responder in one column and it's actually 10.

Bez tytułu.png

but I don't know why it doesn't work and the user doesn't see these items. It doesn't seem to work. Can anyone confirm that this method still works?

Hi @lukasz2 

Please don't append new comments or replies to the closed solution. Start a new thread pointing out this solution if it doesn't work. 

Make sure you change the item level permission first and update the Author or Editor values.

Hope it helps, please like it or mark it as a solution if it resolves your clarification or issue
-Sudharsan K...

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (55,571)