cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrtnM
Level: Powered On

Monthly email with info about new items in SP list

Well, the title says it all: 

I want to create a flow that sends an email (kind of a "newsletter") with a table containing information from two or three custom columns in a Sharpoint online list (probably "summary" text column and "created by"), for all the items created the past month.

My problem is, I do not understand how to manage

1. how to collect the items (I suppose Filter array is the thing to use, but I am a total noob on coding, so ...)
  2. how to put them into the (html) email.

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

This is what I've created ... I think it's a start, but not more than that.

Namnlöst-1.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

Re: Monthly email with info about new items in SP list

Hi

I assume "Hamta objekten" equals to "Sharepoint Get Items", also FilterMatris equals to "Filter Array".

If so, you need to fill the condition inside Filter Array, just to get the items you are interested in. I guess you can take as reference the content of "Created" Date and Time and remove items older than one month.

Once filtered, there is an acton block that helps you to build an HTML table. Once built, you can add the corresponding action block to send an email (Office 365 Outlook Outlook, gmail, etc.) Please note in this last step you shall add the HTML table to the body and mark option IsHTML? to Yes.

There is a great tutorial published on Microsoft Flow official Blog explaining a very similar scenario.

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/email-digest-date-manipulations/

Hope this helps

If anybody solved your question, remember to mark its post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

MrtnM

Thanks! I will look into that and hope I understand it Smiley Happy

Super User
Super User

Hi again

Also @v-yamao-msft has provided vary vauable feedback in this thread 

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Get-Items-and-then-Send-Email/m-p/76824#M7603

In the thread you will see detailed a condition that compares "Created" date from SP item with Today. So, "Created" can be used for date comparisons.

Happy Flowing!

If anybody solved your question, remember to mark its post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @MrtnM,

Do you want to use Filter array action to filter all the items created the past month?

Further, do you want to save the collected items as a html table?

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a proper trigger, here I use Recurrence trigger.
  • Add a “Get items” action, specify Site Address and List Name.
  • Add a Filter array action, From set to output of “Get items” action, click “Edit in advanced mode”, type the following formula:

@greaterOrEquals(formatDateTime(item()?['Created'], 'MM/dd/yyyy'), formatDateTime(addDays(utcNow(), -31), 'MM/dd/yyyy'))

• Add a “Select” action, From set to output of “Filter array” action, within Map entry, first Enter key box set to Course Title text, right Enter value box set to following formula:

item()?[‘Course_x0020_Title’]

Second Enter key box set to Course Code text, right Enter value box set to following formula:

item()?[‘Course_x0020_Code’]

Third Enter key box set to Created text, right Enter value box set to following formula:

item()?[‘Created’]
  • Add a “Create HTML table” action, From set to output of “Select” action.
  • Add a “Send an email” action, Body set to output of “Create HTML table” action.

Note: "Course Title", "Course Code" and "Created" are all columns of SharePoint list.

Image reference:7.jpg

8.jpg

The flow works successfully as below:11.JPG

10.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MrtnM

Thanks, that was a nice guide to follow Smiley Happy

It works perfect (almost - I have an isssue with the html table, since it insists on showing input from an alternatives column like this in the email:  value.jpg

MrtnM

Well ... sorry, no, it doesn't really work. It sends one email with a html table per new item, instead of creating a html table with all items. Somewhere I have made a mistake.

I know my Flow doesn't look exactly like the one v-xida-msft created, but the Flow created an "Apply to each" by itself. Maybe that's the error - but how do I avoid it?

In the Run history, the run is marked as succesful. The Filter array action indata displays all items, but the outdata only displays one (the oldest). But two e-mails are sent, one for each item.

flow2.jpg

MrtnM

Hi again,

I have paused this for a long time, but now it is time to get it working.

Something is clearly wrong, the html table in my e-mail just contains the formula from the "Select" action.

But I cant't find the error.

Thankful for all the help I can get.

Namnlöst-5.jpg

Namnlöst-7.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 339 members 4,061 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: