cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scottb1
Frequent Visitor

Move File - Missing or mismatched field definition

I'm looking to move a file to a different library at the end of a flow route and I'm using the new Move File function to do so however I'm running into the following error;

Missing or mismatched field definition on the destination list for source field '_dlc_ExpireDate' type 'DateTime'. Source site template id 'Site Name', target site template id 'Site Name'. Total blocked root objects in this operation is [1].

It looks like it is forcing me to replicate the meta data in the sorce library in the destination library or the Move File function action will fail. I have replicated all the meta data in the source library in the destination library and am being challenged with meta data fields that are not my own custom ones (message above). Any help on a way round this would be much apprecaited. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Scottb1,

I assume that you could try to use the action Copy file to copy the file from one library to another library.

I have made the following flow, the file could be copied properly.

1.PNG

While if you would like to move a file without replicating all the meta data in the source library in the destination library when using the action Move file, please submit your request on Flow Ideas Forum as well:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hi @Scottb1

Unless you replicated the libraries through code they are unlikely to be 100% the same.

To move a file it is easeir to go throguh these steps:

1. Get file content 

2. create file ( using the content)

3. update the file properties.

v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Scottb1,

I assume that you could try to use the action Copy file to copy the file from one library to another library.

I have made the following flow, the file could be copied properly.

1.PNG

While if you would like to move a file without replicating all the meta data in the source library in the destination library when using the action Move file, please submit your request on Flow Ideas Forum as well:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @Pieter_Veenstra to move the file where would the step be to move the file from one document library to another?

GUSers
Regular Visitor

Hello, I'm running into a similar issue I think to this situation. I'm getting an error (see below) preventing the Move. I need to do the Move and not the Copy to retain the version history on the file in its new location.

Missing or mismatched field definition on the destination list for source field 'Sub_x002d_Category' type 'Choice'. Source site template id 'TeamCollaborationSite', target site template id 'TeamCollaborationSite'. Total blocked root objects in this operation is [1].
clientRequestId: 'unique id'
serviceRequestId: 'unique id'

I thought that the files would move regardless of the metadata columns being the same across the two libraries. If the corresponding field didn't exist, then the data would be lost, otherwise it would transfer over. I'm at a loss for what is preventing this file from moving when I have the identical column value setup in the destination.

@GUSers Did you ever solve this?  I'm running into the same issues, but my column type is 'Note' instead of 'Choice.'

No @simpkinspete I did not get resolution on it. I met with one of my IT colleagues and we poked around a bit more, but were not successful in selecting and/or moving the file. Unfortunately, what seems like pretty basic logic is proving to be more difficult than touted for us low coders.

Bummer.  I ended up switching the move step to a Copy File followed by a Delete File.  Luckily I don't need version history on these items.  

GUSers
Regular Visitor

@simpkinspete any chance you could share what you've got to get your Copy/Delete flow working? Maybe that will allow us to understand something we are missing. The code should be very similar since the manual process is really one button click different and ignoring the delete action.

Glad you were able to get that to work for you. As we've been investigating this functionality, we encountered a second scenario where we want to implement this flow, so hoping we can get things figured out.

simpkinspete
Advocate II
Advocate II

@GUSers for sure!

I didn't run into an issue with the "Move File" action until I tried to move a file that originated in a document library with custom metadata columns.  It appears that the Move File action tries to match up metadata and errors out if it can't. I tried creating matching columns in the receiving document library but noticed that the error messages started referencing metadata I couldn't find in the library.   Microsoft should look at adding an option in the action to "remove metadata" or "fail" in the migration.   Copying the file from one library to another avoids the metadata issue.  In the end, I added a step between the Copy File and Delete File step to Update File Properties with metadata values from the original file (original creation date, created by, etc.).  

GraysonBishop
Advocate III
Advocate III

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (3,208)