cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joelg
Frequent Visitor

Moving folder into Document Set - "Invalid date/time value"

My flow is supposed to create a Custom Folder (custom content type) as a subfolder automatically, when a Document Set is created. (This is because Document Sets don't allow custom folders as Default Content.)

Originally I tried to create the folder directly within the Document Set, as below, but this gave me the error, "One or more field types are not installed properly. Go to the list settings page to delete these fields."

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 8.43.14 AM.png

The only reason I could think of was that in the Document Library's Advanced settings, I set "Make "New Folder" command available?" to "No":

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 8.44.18 AM.png

So, I devised a workaround. Create a folder at the root of the document library, update it to be my custom folder content type ID, then move it to the desired Document Set. This worked for my first test.

After that, it kept failing with a weird bug/error. On the Move Folder action, I get a 400 error, "Invalid date/time value. A date/time field contains invalid data. Please check the value and try again," even though I wasn't inputting any date/time fields into the Move Folder action:

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 9.01.23 AM.png

 The custom content type ID in Update file properties

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 9.01.49 AM.png

The move folder action - the full path variables are taken from the previous outputs and are correct:

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 9.01.56 AM.png

Any ideas? If no one can spot any obvious mistakes, I may submit a support ticket.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Document Sets are designed to be a flat structure.  By definition they cannot contain folders.  Its not just prohibited for default content.  Its not supported at all.  For a document set all files must be in the root folder of the document set.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
joelg
Frequent Visitor

In SharePoint online, I am actually able to create subfolders inside Document Sets without any problem. My problem is with replicating this in Power Automate (getting a flow to do this automatically for every new Document Set)

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 9.30.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 9.34.50 AM.png

Yes, you can find a way to make folders in document sets, but it is not a supported action.  Document sets are and always have been designed to be flat.  They are not designed to contain subfolders.  In addition the connector for Power Automate doesn't actually support document sets.  You'll notice there are no actions for creating or modifying document sets.  Again, there are ways to get around it, but its not supported.  In short I don't think you will find a way to create sub folders in a document set using Power Automate.  Even if you do its not a supported process and will be prone to errors and issues going forward.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (3,789)