cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bruce_in_Bucks
Frequent Visitor

Multi layer approvals (Custom Responses – Wait for one response) not using Condition

Hello Flow-world, 

I've built a great flow to capture status of monthly tasks. My flow takes 49 SP List rows and concurrently sends "Start and Wait for Approval" emails. The type of Approval is "Custom Responses – Wait for one response" with options; "Completed", "Completed with Changes" and "Failed to Complete". 

The first Approval goes to the dynamic Owner with a time-out.

The second Approval goes to the Alternate-Owner, is configured to run after the first Times Out and has a Time Out itself. Same response options.

I've got an "Update Item" which is configured to run if the second approval is Successful and returns the Custom Response ("Completed", "Completed with Changes" or"Failed to Complete" to a field in the source List plus "Responses comments", "Approver Name" and Responses responses date"). I don't need conditions or switch because I just need the response data back from the Actionable Email.

There is another "Update Item" which uses the result from the first Approval and is configured to run if the previous "Update Item" is Skipped with the same data capture.  

Finally, I've added a last "Update Item" configured to run if the previous Update Item fails. This is an error handler for when both Approvals Time Out and the "Update Item" fails because there's no data coming back. It returns "Timed Out" text to the list's results field.

My Question: If the Alternate Owner Approval Times Out, I want it to go to the Owner Manager (from my list, not difficult). I can get the Approvals to go from Owner to Alternate to Manager but have only figured out how to get the Update item to work at 2 levels. I can't quick work out how to stack the Update Items for the 3 Approval sources. Should I create a variable from any successful Approval and then just return the variable from whichever Approval is responded to (should only ever be 1 of the 3) at the end? Never tried Variables before.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce 

3 REPLIES 3
Bruce_in_Bucks
Frequent Visitor

Would someone please suggest whether they think this is possible?

Reimi
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Bruce_in_Bucks 

Could you give us the screen shot of Flow ?

Thanks,

Hi Reimi,

It will be a lot of screenshots. I've built the parts in Word, not sure how to attach to this note though.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,578)