cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Regular Visitor

Multiple Approvals - Organisational Structrure

I have created many forms that have a supporting Power Automate approval workflow. I know how to Get User Profile, Get Manager, etc. and have the form flow through the organisational structure.

Question.

1. I have forms that require multiple levels of Manager approval through to the General Manager. If I have a Approval Automation that requires three levels of approval and goes to a Manager to approve, then an Executive Manager, then the General Manager, how do I manage a flow that starts higher up the organisational chart? The automation wants to send to the next Manager, but the approval may have started higher up the Org chart and will send the approval multiple times to the GM.

Example:

User Submits Form - Goes to Manager - Goes to Exec Manager - Goes to GM.  This employee is 3 steps from the GM and the automation has 3 approval steps.  This works.

Manager Submits Form - Goes to their Manager (Exec Mgr), Goes to GM and then Goes to GM again.  This Manager is 2 steps from the GM, but the automation has 3 Start an Approval steps.

Thank you, Jeff

4 REPLIES 4
Microsoft
Microsoft

Your question is, if the approval started with Exec Mgr,do you want the approval complete by two stages?

What methods do you use to designate users for each approval stage?
If you complete the approval action of first, do you have a flow set up that specifies that supervisor for the next approval?
In that case, how about setting conditions before executing an approval action so that if the person at the previous approval stage is the same as the person who will be set as the approver in that action, the approval action will not be executed?

Hello,

That is correct. How do I complete the approval process if complete in two stages?

I am using Get User, Get Manager, Get Manager, etc.

1st Start Approval with Responder Email

2nd Start Approval with Email of Get Manager 1

3rd Start Approval with Email of Get Manager 2

How do you set a Condition before executing an approval action so that if the person at the previous approval stage is the same as the person who will be set as the approver in that action, the approval action will not be executed?

Thank you for your assistance.

Hello Askondo,

Can you show me any screen shots or show me how to do as you suggest? I have searched and cannot find how this condition would be set.

"how about setting conditions before executing an approval action so that if the person at the previous approval stage is the same as the person who will be set as the approver in that action, the approval action will not be executed?"

@askondo 

Sorry for the late reply. My suggestion is just one example, but why don't you add a conditional expression as follows to compare the previous approver with the one you got by getting a supervisor, and if they are different email addresses, perform the next approval.

MicrosoftTeams-image (4).png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (22,963)