cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leanns
Level: Powered On

Multiple File Links in approval requests

Hello,

I have tested this, but I just want to confirm and find out if there truly is no way to get around this. My company uses the approval connection to approve multiple documents under multiple routes and I was asked if it was possible to send multiple links through one route since all the files need to be approved by the same people. 

Example, requester has 4 files that needs to be approved by 3 people but doesn't want to send out four different approval routes. They want to just drop all 4 links into one route for them to look and approve all at the same time. 

I can not get this to work, is it due to the fact that the approvals connector doesn't support it? I also haven't seen anything on the forums either. 

Thanks for confirming!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Multiple File Links in approval requests

I don't see any reason you can't add links to multiple files to the approval message in Flow.  But the trigger would be the issue.  You can't have a trigger based on multiple selected files.  If you select the files in PowerApps and pass them to a Flow you would add the first file to the Item Link dialog in the Approval and add links to the rest into the body of the message. Then when the approval returns you'll need to update all four files status manually.  But it should be possible. You just can't add multiple files to the linked item property of Approval.  But that's not essential anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I don't see any reason you can't add links to multiple files to the approval message in Flow.  But the trigger would be the issue.  You can't have a trigger based on multiple selected files.  If you select the files in PowerApps and pass them to a Flow you would add the first file to the Item Link dialog in the Approval and add links to the rest into the body of the message. Then when the approval returns you'll need to update all four files status manually.  But it should be possible. You just can't add multiple files to the linked item property of Approval.  But that's not essential anyway.

View solution in original post

leanns

Hello @Pstork1,

Okay thank you for the information. I did try linking one file into the Item Link property and the others in the body but when I did that, the links in the body weren't actual links. I had to manually copy and paste (which isn't a bad thing, just an extra step). While this is a good workaround, these links come from a SharePoint List column that's multi-text (to workaround the hyperlink character limit), but I can't control how many are being entered so I think I'll just stick to the approval doesn't accept it option. 

Thank you again for confirming my suspicions!

Highlighted
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

The the links in the body take a look at https://aka.ms/approvaldetails .  YOu can use markup to change the text into a clickable hyperlink.  The markup looks like this.

[Microsoft Flow](https://flow.microsoft.com)

That will make a link in the email that looks like this

Microsoft Flow

leanns

@Pstork1 

Thanks for that piece of code. I always forget that exists. 

Jaystechtips

Just stumbled into this solution. This is exactly what i need.

Works perfectly! Thanks! @Pstork1 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,033)