cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dazza
Level: Power Up

Multiple approvers required for document approval

We are trying to create a releativly simple (or so I thought) approval process that triggers when a custom "Document Status" property changes to "Waiting for Approval". When this occurs, an email should be sent off to all people listed as Document Approvers. Once ALL approvers have approved the document, it should then change the custom "Document Status" field to Approved, until then the status should remain in "Waiting for Approval". If any one of the approvers rejects the document, we want the status to revert to Draft. Regardless of the condition, we will then send an email to the document creator with the status, and comments.

We are using a Start Approval step with Everyone from the Assigned List, however we the approval flow is running as if it is sequential, rather than parallel.

The email is only sent to the first Document Approver, and doesnt send to subsequent approvers, until the first approver approves (or rejects) the document.

Can anyone see what we are doing wrong with the below?

https://imgur.com/NGmxG6P

https://imgur.com/W5vTXru

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Multiple approvers required for document approval

Hi @Dazza,

Could you please share a bit more about your SharePoint list?

Could you please show a bit more about the dynamic content filled in Assigned to field of "Start an approval" action?

I suppose that the dynamic content filled in Assigned to field of "Start an approval" action is a Person or Group type column dynamic content and the Document Approvers column is a Choice type column.

I have created the two custom columns within my SharePoint library and the data structure of it as below:15.JPGNote: DocumentApprovers column is a Person or Group type column with allowing multiple selections, the Document Status column is a Choice type column (Waiting for Approval, Approved and Draft).

I think this issue is related to the "Apply to each" action within your flow, I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When a file is created or modified (properties only)" trigger.
  • Add a Variables-> "Initialize variable" action, Name set to ApproversString, Type set to String and Value set to empty.
  • Add a Condition, click "Edit in advanced mode", type the following formula:

@equals(triggerBody()?['Document_x0020_Status']?['Value'], 'Waiting for Approval')

• Within "If/yes" branch of Condition, add a "Apply to each" action, input parameter set to DocumentApprovers dynamic content of the trigger.

Within "Apply to each" action, add a "Compose" action, Inputs set to following formula:

concat(items('Apply_to_each')?['Email'],';',variables('ApproversString'))

Add a "Set variable" action, Name choose ApproversString, Value set to output of "Compose" action.

Under "Apply to each" action, add a "Start an approval" action, Approval Type set to Everyone from the assigned list, Assigned to field set to ApproversString variable. Then add a "Condition 2", left input box set to Response dynamic content, right input box set to Approve. Within middle drop down, choose is equal to.

Within "If/yes" branch of Condition 2, add a "Update file properties" action, Document Status Value set to Approved. Then add a "Apply to each 2" action, input parameter set to output of Responses dynamic content of "Start an approval" action. Within "Apply to each 2" action, add a "Send an email" action, Is HTML set to Yes.

Within "If/no" branch of Condition 2, add a "Update file properties 2" action, Document Status Value set to Draft. Then add a "Apply to each 3" action, input parameter set to output of Responses dynamic content of "Start an approval" action. Within "Apply to each 2" action, add a "Send an email 2" action, Is HTML set to Yes.

Image reference:16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:19.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
BMCAUDILL

Hi @v-xida-msft,

I needed to build a similar workflow and found your post. The workflow overall is running great! Thanks for the information. I have one issue that I'm hoping you can assist with.

The approvals configured in the Apply to each are going out, but in serial instead of parallel. I checked the setting of the Apply to each action and it is set as the default, run in parallel. 

Any idea how I can trigger the approvals to be sent out in parallel instead of serial?

Thanks,

Brent

Super User
Super User

Hi @BMCAUDILL,

You could of course create parallel actions, however I wouldn't recommend that. Unless there is a different level of approval needed.

Para.PNG

In the Approval action you also set your apporval type in your approval action. Using Everyone will send out in  parallel

ApprovalAll.PNG

CARichardson

This works great unless the people you have added to the "Document Approvers" have external email address and they don't have a subscription to "Flow".  

When I tried it with a SharePoint authorized user who is a guest with an external email address I get the folllowing:

Premium account required
These features require an account for work or school and you have a personal email. To try these features, you can sign up for a trial now with your work or school email or by creating a new organization account.
flerma
Level: Powered On

Hi.  My name is Felix.  Were you able to get the multiple approver flow to work? 

If so, could share the logic with me.  I've been trying to get it but have not had success.  

Thanks.  

flerma
Level: Powered On

Hi Chris, 

I'm trying to do the same.  Multiple parallel approvers.  I have not had any success.  

Could you send me a diagram of the logic used?  I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 331 members 5,744 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: