cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UB400
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Multiple step Approval Flow - with manual escalation when required

I'm trying to create an Approval Flow, where the Approval workflow is as follows:

1. Approval request received by Manager,

2. The "Approve" and "Reject" is straightforward,

3. The Manager doesn't respond within a certain timeframe I can use the Time out and run after to escalate it to the "Manager's Manager

4. However I also want the Manager to have the option of manually escalating it to "Manager's Manager", without having to wait for it to timeout e.g. if the Manager isn't comfortable with that particular decision, they should be able to manually escalate it to "Manager's Manager"

It's this last part i'm struggling to figure out, given there's only an "Approve" or "Reject" option.

Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi UB400,

I would suggest you use the action “Office 365 – Send an approval email”.

When using this action, you could add another selection besides Approve and Reject, such as “No comments”.

Then Add a Condition, if the Manager selects “No comments”, use action “Get manager” to get Manager’s Manager, then send the approval email to Manager’s Manager.
3.PNG

Please take this for a reference and try with it on your side.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yamao-msftThank you for your response. While this could be a good solution, in my scenario I need to capture Approver comments as well. Unfortunately I just created a test and it appears to be stuck in the send e-mail stage, so I can't see whether the Approver can make comments, is that possible?

Hi UB400,

If you want to capture approver comments, I am afraid you will have to use the modern approval, however, when using modern approval, we are not able to customize the user options.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yamao-msft Thanks I understand. It's pity because we have two types of Approval Flows, one that allows multiple selections and the other that allows comments.

I'd be happy with one type of Flow that does both.

Any idea what's on the roadmap for these two types of Approval Flows? Is the Modern Approval Flow going to get multiple options, or if the Outlook Approval Flow will get comments options?

Thanks.

Hi UB400,

I would suggest you submit a request at Flow Ideas Forum about these features, PGs will check the forum and take it into consideration in the future releases.
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

I will also help collect and report it on my side and suggest other customers who have the same request vote your idea at here.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,026)