cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
giftedbrain
Level: Powered On

Must I create a SharePoint Online List to create Microsoft Flow for Approvals from Manager(s) for Word documents?

Hi Community

I am new to Microsoft Flow. I have used Flows mainly to Refresh Power BI Datasets so the data is up-to-date for my Power BI Reports.

Approvals team in my office requested me to create Microsoft Flow for Approvals from many Managers.

FYI - We are using O365 and SharePoint Online.

The requirement is as below:

1. A Site Engineer will upload Word document(s) on to SharePoint Online Site (I am the Admin of this SharePoint Online Site).

2. The same Site Engineer will run/trigger the Flow when he thinks he is ready, so I thought to create a flow that is Instant - from blank.

3. This document should send an email to all the Managers who will need to review this document simultaneously and make changes in the document.

4. Some will update this Word document (would be nice to have visibility on the updates or track changes).

5. Some will Approve.

6. Some will Reject this Word document with comments for amendments.

7. The rejected document should send an email back to the Site Engineer so he can take appropriate action and resend the document for Approval.

8. Notifications must be sent by email or otherwise to the Managers who have forgotten to review the document before actioning them as Approved/Rejected.

9. All the Managers need to Approve before a document is considered Complete.

All the videos on YouTube have been talking about Approving documents on SharePoint List!

Must I create a SharePoint Online List (since we're on SharePoint Online) to create Microsoft Flow for these (many) documents in various folders? If so, what is the best approach?

As you could see, at the moment I have created a 'Construction Documentation' in the library and have created Folders and Subfolders in this sequence:

Construction Documentation -> Zone 200 West (etc) -> Package XYZ (etc, will have Word Documents in them for Approval) -> Procedures ABC (etc, will have Word Documents in them for Approval).

When I tried to create an Instant Flow - from blank, I am able to go to the Folder but unable to pick on a particular Document though? Or is there a way I could create just 1 Flow at a higher level of this Folder Structure so that Flow can be used for all documents Approval Process with addition/deletion/modification of Email IDs of Managers?

What is the best way can I make this happen.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Kind regards,

Bhoga

Snag_14e6846.pngSnag_14e7c5b.pngSnag_14e86da.pngSnag_14e915a.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CollabTechie
Level 8

Re: Must I create a SharePoint Online List to create Microsoft Flow for Approvals from Manager(s) for Word documents?

Hi @giftedbrain 
No problem at all. Normally, if one person rejects, the whole process starts again. An e-mail will be sent to each person defined int the assigned to field and they can approve / reject and add comments within Outlook or they can go to the Flow approvals center and handle that in there.
Feel free to ask any more questions about this and please accept as solution if this is what you were looking for
Have a nice day
M

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
giftedbrain

Re: Must I create a SharePoint Online List to create Microsoft Flow for Approvals from Manager(s) for Word documents?

Anyone.. please..!

Thanks,

Bhoga

CollabTechie
Level 8

Hi @giftedbrain 
it's best to use a SharePoint Online document library to do your document approvals. Use the SharePoint trigger "For a selected file" and then you select the document within the library, click on Flow up top and your Flow will be ready for selection. You then run the Flow and that will kick off the approval process.

cap1.PNG

Does this make sense?

M

-----------------------------------------

Please give a thumbs up if you like this or accept as solution if it has solved your issue.

giftedbrain

Hi M @CollabTechie
Thank you so much for your guidance. It makes sense now.
I will get started on it right now and let you know if any issues.
Have a great day!
Kind regards, B

CollabTechie
Level 8

Hi @giftedbrain 
No problem at all. Normally, if one person rejects, the whole process starts again. An e-mail will be sent to each person defined int the assigned to field and they can approve / reject and add comments within Outlook or they can go to the Flow approvals center and handle that in there.
Feel free to ask any more questions about this and please accept as solution if this is what you were looking for
Have a nice day
M

View solution in original post

giftedbrain

Hi @CollabTechie (M)

One last question, is it still worth using SharePoint Designer 2013 because I've noticed Microsoft Flow videos on YouTube done in October 2017 by Microsoft Employees such as Jon Levesque are using Flows off SharePoint Online whereas some done by Peter Kalmström in September 2018 are using SharePoint Designer 2013..!

Thanks a million.

Cheers, B

CollabTechie
Level 8

Hi giftedbrain
My advice would be to stay away from Sharepoijt designer. Old work flows are supported until 2026, but the way forward is with Flow. You shouldn't require SPD for anything.
Hope this helps
M

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,527)