cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JLS75
Regular Visitor

My first flow - Approval Flow

I'm sure this is really easy but I can't seem to find the answer in the other posts or YouTube videos.

I'm trying to send out an approval request but don't know how to get the "assigned to" field to work.

The only dynamic options provided are "created by" and "modified by" which work fine when used.

I want the creator to assign an individual to send the approval request to.

My list contains a column labeled Managers Name but I can't seem to send the email that individual.

I've tried the various templates that are available. Currently, I'm using the following template:

'Start approval when a new item is added' Template

Also, any recommendations on how I can better learn to use power automate, I would appreciate it.

My final output would Ideally go out to several people for approval, record their comments and if I dream enough,

it would resend emails to those who have not approved the item. But I'll take the first baby step.

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @JLS75 ,

Create a Manager's Name column with Single line of text type.

1.png

Then we could choose the Manager's Name dynamic content as below:2.png

If your Manager's Name column is single line of text type, please take a try to create a new flow and your issue must be solved.

Best Regards,

Alice

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
ChristianAbata
Community Champion
Community Champion

@JLS75  please could you share an screanshot?

Make shure you are using start and wait for an approval

stard.PNG

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA

Approval.JPG

@JLS75  in assigned to you need to add the email of the approvers, so you need to have a column in sharepoint list with the email adreses

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA
v-alzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JLS75 ,

As @ChristianAbata  said you need the email of the approver, does the Managers Name field that contains the email?

Could you please share more details about the Managers Name field? what is the type of the field?

And could you please share a screenshot of the list with data?

Please share more details so we could better understand your issue and provide the workaround.

Best regards,

Alice       

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

JLS75
Regular Visitor

Ok, here's a screen shot of the start and wait for approval flow I also tried to create.

Flow.jpeg

The 'Manager's Name' is a simple column on my list and currently just a simple text field.

list.jpeg

Hi @JLS75 ,

I see you could add the Manager's Name dynamic content in the Assigned To field now, does the Manager's Name field save the email of the manager? If, yes, please add a ";" after the dynamic content and then the flow could work.

Best regards,

Alice       

Here is what I entered in the manager's name column

Managers Name Email.JPG

but here is the error I received.

JLS75
Regular Visitor

Sorry, here is the error message.

Flow error.JPG

hi @JLS75  please follow this example, my colum Titulo is like your Manager Name, avoid ; just leve the email

titu.PNG

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Hi @JLS75 ,

The error message told that you choose the ManagersName Email dynamic content, since the ManagersName field is a single line of text column, you should choose the ManagersName dynamic content.

Pleas share the screenshot of the flow and the error message if your flow still couldn't work.

Best Regards,

Alice

Yes, if I enter an email here it does work. I'm trying to drive it from the list and not within the flow.

The reason is because it can change depending on who is working on it.

Do you have a screen shot of the Dynamic Content? I don't get that as an option from the dynamic content pop up box.

Thanks!

Hi @JLS75 ,

Create a Manager's Name column with Single line of text type.

1.png

Then we could choose the Manager's Name dynamic content as below:2.png

If your Manager's Name column is single line of text type, please take a try to create a new flow and your issue must be solved.

Best Regards,

Alice

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

New Process Advisor Capabilities carousel.png

Read the blog for the latest news

Read the latest about new experiences and capabilities in the Power Automate product blog.

PA Survey Carousel Image.png

We want to hear from you!

If you are a small business ISV/Reseller, share your thoughts with our research team.

AI Builder AMA June 7th carousel (up on May 25th, take down June 8th) (1).png

'Ask Microsoft Anything' about AI Builder!

The AI Builder team invite you to ask questions and provide helpful answers at our next AMA.

Users online (1,460)