cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
--EKM
Level: Powered On

Need help with setting up reminders for a SharePoint list

Hello, everyone. What I am currently trying to do is automate a compliance calendar using a SharePoint list. What I want to accomplish is, every day at 6 am the Flow will start and check whether an item is 60 days out from the due date, if so, send a reminder to the responsible user with a link the SharePoint list item along with the name of the item. Another user helped me start the Flow but it's not working as intended. The step where it is not working as intended is when it checks to see if the LinkToItem string is not equal to null. If yes it sends an email with a link to item and item name, if no do nothing. It does send an email to the right user with the link to the item whose due date is 60 days out with the name of the item as well. It is also, however, sending an email to the other users with the name of the item and no link that is due for the correct user. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

Expression reference: 

union(variables('ResponsibleUser'),variables('ResponsibleUser'))
addDays(utcNow(),60,'yyyy-MM-dd')

Image references:whole flow .pngOverview of FLOW

part1.pngpart 2.pngpart 3.pngThis is where the problem is. The condition is true when it should be false and is sending emails to users whose item is not due.

sharepoint test list.pngtest list

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jwhite
Level 8

Re: Need help with setting up reminders for a SharePoint list

Hi @--EKM,

I set up a flow which I think duplicates yours entirely and get exactly the same result. Not quite sure why the condition for LinkToItem not equal to null isn't triggering how you would expect, however just changing to

length(variables('LinkToItem'))

is greater than zero on that condition then gave me the expected results

VariableLength.png

Let me know how you get on with that, if it doesn't work I will have to see what I have managed to make different between our flows.

3 REPLIES 3
jwhite
Level 8

Hi @--EKM,

I set up a flow which I think duplicates yours entirely and get exactly the same result. Not quite sure why the condition for LinkToItem not equal to null isn't triggering how you would expect, however just changing to

length(variables('LinkToItem'))

is greater than zero on that condition then gave me the expected results

VariableLength.png

Let me know how you get on with that, if it doesn't work I will have to see what I have managed to make different between our flows.

--EKM
Level: Powered On

Thank you for that work around! What I ended up doing was using an ODATA filter query all the way in the beginning to just grab items that were 60days out from the due date and just storing the responsible users email,link to item and name of item in their own string variables. I think this method is a bit more efficient instead of grabbing all items and then checking the due date. Thanks!

-E

shaneOZ
Level 8

@--EKM wrote:

Thank you for that work around! What I ended up doing was using an ODATA filter query all the way in the beginning to just grab items that were 60days out from the due date and just storing the responsible users email,link to item and name of item in their own string variables. I think this method is a bit more efficient instead of grabbing all items and then checking the due date. Thanks!

-E

Could you please pass on how you did this? what was the odata filter query you used?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 319 members 4,991 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: