cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArturAIM
Regular Visitor

Need help with updating multiple person field

Hello everyone,

Can someone help me with the following issue?

I need to update a multiple person field from another text field, that has comma separated display names (i.e. John Smith;Tom Tiens;Grig Baytar;Ann Hovs;). This should be converted to 4 persons inside multi person field.

As I know, multiple person field should be updated from an array variable, but how can I append this text field to an array variable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ArturAIM,

Here, there are steps you could refer to approach your requirement:

1. Initialize an array variable to store the restructured Emails.

2. Then use Split() function and take() function convert the Email string to an Email array and remove the last one that has no value;

take(split(outputs('Compose'),';'),sub(length(split(outputs('Compose'),';')),1))

3. Then use Append to array variable action, append the current email into the Claims:

{
"Claims": "@{item()}"
}

4. Update item by using the array variable.

Screenshot 2021-02-09 160231.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-09 160302.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-09 160318.jpg

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ArturAIM,

Update multiple person field in SharePoint should use email address, not the full name.

And update the person field should as below:

Screenshot 2021-02-09 153732.jpg

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-litu-msft ,

Thank you, for the explanation, but this does not fully answer my question. Maybe I can get emails instead of display names, but it still will be like this: test1@test.com;test2@test.com;test3@test.com;

How can I convert this to be like in your screenshot using Power Automate?

Thanks,
Arthur

v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ArturAIM,

Here, there are steps you could refer to approach your requirement:

1. Initialize an array variable to store the restructured Emails.

2. Then use Split() function and take() function convert the Email string to an Email array and remove the last one that has no value;

take(split(outputs('Compose'),';'),sub(length(split(outputs('Compose'),';')),1))

3. Then use Append to array variable action, append the current email into the Claims:

{
"Claims": "@{item()}"
}

4. Update item by using the array variable.

Screenshot 2021-02-09 160231.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-09 160302.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-09 160318.jpg

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

Hi @v-litu-msft,

Thank you for step-by-step guidance. Just wanted to let you know, that it's possible to update multiple person field using Display names. I just converted my original field to array variable using your instructions and it is updating my field successfully. So there is no need to convert it to emails.

Thanks,

Artur

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,356)