Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rzgazaryan
Helper I
Helper I

Need some advice on a conditional trigger | Power Automate Noob

Hi all,

New to Power Automate, but have finally created my first couple of flows. One of them looks like this:

Rzgazaryan_0-1632843547185.png

Long story short - when a team lead goes into SharePoint folder and modifies an Update slide, a trigger happens where it converts to PDF, conerts to JPG, then placed in a seperate folder. That folder is connected to a Power BI report where the images poppulate.

Someone in another forum thread mentioned that because this trigger could be set of ALOT of times, I'd maybe have to consider some sort of Trigger Condition. Can someone please elaborate on what kind of trigger conditions you have used in the past?

And in this case, for a "when created/modified" trigger, what type of conditions are most common to make sure it doesn't run an absurd amount of times? When you open PowerPoint online through SharePoint, everytime that you're typing something in, or deleted, or really anything, you can see in the top left corner that it's constantly "Saving" or "Saved" meaning that it's constantly being modified as you go, which in this case isn't the best.

I'm using Plumsail as a tool to convert PPT to images, and I have a license that only allows 5000 per month. Now I don't think I'd hit this limit considering we only have 20 PowerPoint files in the folder, but regardless, what are some conditions you have used?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

Hi @Rzgazaryan,

I think it was me who gave you that advice of a (trigger) condition 😁

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/When-file-in-folder-modified-created-convert-to-P...

One approach would be to have an additional field in there were you register if the PDF and image already have been created. This way the flow knows it can safely ignore the Plumsail actions. You can check this field with a condition action.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Expiscornovus
Super User
Super User

Hi @Rzgazaryan,

I think it was me who gave you that advice of a (trigger) condition 😁

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/When-file-in-folder-modified-created-convert-to-P...

One approach would be to have an additional field in there were you register if the PDF and image already have been created. This way the flow knows it can safely ignore the Plumsail actions. You can check this field with a condition action.

View solution in original post

haha yes it was - thank you for the good advice. Would've went right over my head. I'll try this out and see how it goes. Ty again sir!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,132)