cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CarlosBell
Frequent Visitor

Notification in Teams AFTER assigning someone to an MS Planner Task, AFTER the original Task is Created

Good evening!

I currently have a flow set up that will "post" a message on a Teams Channel when a MS Planner Task is created.  If someone is assigned to said Task when it's first created, the person assigned to said Task will be "@"notified in the post.  I am now finding that some of my staff will first create the Task (w.out assigning anyone), and then come back later and assign the task to someone.  The issue here is that when the Task is created it triggers the  flow to post on teams, but if no one is assigned it clearly can notify anyone. When they go back in to update the "Assign to" field it does not repost with the new assignee.

Ideal Solution: 

Ideally, I would love it if the flow would detect when someone has been assigned after the original "post" occurs and then update the original "post" with the person who was assigned.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @CarlosBell ,

there's an action called 'Delay', you can use that one to pause the flow for a while.

update: don't forget to load the updated task using 'Get a task' (by the task Id) action after the delay. The trigger output won't be updated, if the assignee was empty when the flow started, the trigger output will stay empty. You'll need a to get the task again, its latest, updated version using 'Get a task' to get the updated assignee.

[ If I have answered your question, please Accept the post as a solution. ]
[ If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ]

[ I also blog about Power Automate solutions even for non-IT people. ]

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tom_riha
Super User II
Super User II

Hello @CarlosBell ,

there's no trigger in Power Automate that would start a flow when Planner task is modified/assigned. You'll have to explain your staff how to use it properly and assign the task right away.

Or you could extend the original flow to not post a task if it's not assigned and add a second, scheduled flow that would once a day (or on a different schedule) list all planner task, check if each task has a message on Teams, and if not, send the message. But that would cause delay between the task creation and the information on Teams, and it would not work if tasks don't have unique names.

Thanks @tom_riha! I was afraid of that. Lol

Is there any way to delay the flow to say 5 mins after it detects the new task? Even 5 mins would help as apparently the team likes to create and then assign.  I’ve asked them to assign immediately but bc we are a response team sometimes the do batch tasks and then batch assignments.  

Hello @CarlosBell ,

there's an action called 'Delay', you can use that one to pause the flow for a while.

update: don't forget to load the updated task using 'Get a task' (by the task Id) action after the delay. The trigger output won't be updated, if the assignee was empty when the flow started, the trigger output will stay empty. You'll need a to get the task again, its latest, updated version using 'Get a task' to get the updated assignee.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Carousel April Dunnam Updated 768x460.jpg

Urdu Hindi D365 Bootcamp

Dont miss our very own April Dunnam’s The Developer Guide to the Galaxy! Find out what the Power Platform has to offer for the traditional developer.

Users online (1,982)