cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sazaroo
Frequent Visitor

Notify someone when a student has submitted an assignment in Teams

I am trying to build a flow that notifies someone when a student has uploaded a piece of work to a Teams assignment.   I've managed to set up a working flow, but it works a bit too well.  When a student adds an assignment, Teams creates folders on the fly, one with the student name and also a version folder and so I get notifications not only for the piece of work but for the extra folders that were created as well.  This is what it looks like....

workflow.jpg

So, in an ideal world, I just want one notification for the document itself and not for the newly created folders. 

As an aside, I am also struggling to build a flow that creates a copy of the assignment submitted in a different sub-folder. 

Any help you can offer would be hugely appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4
CraigStewart
Super User
Super User

I think the trigger When a file is created in a folder be an option here for you?
I have a vague recollection of having similar issues a while back and I think my solution was that trigger:

Triggers when a file is created in a SharePoint folder. The trigger does not fire if a file is added/updated in a subfolder. If it is required to trigger on subfolders, multiple triggers should be created.

Thanks for getting back to me @CraigStewart . I've looked into this trigger and have found this...

When a file is created in a folder

Triggers the flow when you create a file in a SharePoint folder. This trigger does not run if you add or update a file in a subfolder inside the folder this trigger is operating on. If the flow is required to trigger on subfolders, create different flows for one or more subfolder(s).

I'm really not sure how to create different flows for one or more subfolders, especially if their names are unknown. Do you know any more about this??

Thanks

CraigStewart
Super User
Super User

Hi

OK so you have your submitted files folder.

When a file is placed there you have a flow that sends an email to let you know about the file, it then creates new folders and places the document into it, is that correct?

You want to avoid notifications for for the creation of these subfolders.

I'm not sure I understand your last piece about creating flow for sub folders.

Can you list all the steps you are looking to achieve and avoid from start to finish so we can clear up any confusion?

Craig 

sazaroo
Frequent Visitor

Hi @CraigStewart many apologies for not getting back to you sooner.  I decided that what I was trying to do was too complicated so have chosen to ignore Teams Assignments and, instead, get students to submit work via a form.  It's a lot easier.  I appreciate you getting back to me though!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (4,923)