cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrandonQuinn

Null error when selecting from empty array

I have several mulitple choice questions in a Microsoft form. Multiple answers are allowed for the questions, and so after some Googling I am using Compose to get the answer array and then Select to select the items within that array to display when I automate the form responses into a SharePoint list. However, the new form I'm using branches off, and so some of the multiple choice fields are skipped and left blank. I then get the error "The 'from' property value in the 'select' action inputs is of type 'Null'. The value must be an array.". 

Has anyone come across this error before or knows another one to handle it?Flow Error.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paulie78
Super User
Super User

Yes, you can handle this with an expression like this:

if(equals(outputs('somearray'), null), json('[]'), outputs('somearray'))

You would replace:

outputs('somearray') with whatever you array is. This expression is basically saying, if the array is equal to null, then use json('[]') as the output instead. which will produce a valid, but empty array.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Paulie78
Super User
Super User

Yes, you can handle this with an expression like this:

You would replace:

outputs('somearray') with whatever you array is. This expression is basically saying, if the array is equal to null, then use json('[]') as the output instead. which will produce a valid, but empty array.

BrandonQuinn

Thank you very much! This worked for all my branched multiple choice questions.

Thank you very much! This worked for all my branched multiple choise questions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where would I write this expression. I seem to be having the same problem

Hi Paulie, 
I am having the same issue where the form logic can be skipped based on questions and it's causing my error. 
"The 'from' property value in the 'select' action inputs is of type 'Null'. The value must be an array."

Where do I key this into my flow? 

Currently this is mine:
 json(outputs('Get_response_details')?['body/re166e862ac2e43b5a854017b21fe7637'])

Tried this and it still failed:

if(equals(outputs('Get_response_details'), null), json('[]'), outputs('Get_response_details')?['body/re166e862ac2e43b5a854017b21fe7637'])

khari14
Frequent Visitor

HI @Paulie78 , I tried to use this syntax for apply to each item but it did not work. Cna you guide me. Below is my flow

Syntax: 

if(equals(items('Apply_to_each_2')?['DISCHAREGE_x0020_DATE'], null), json('[]'), items('Apply_to_each_2')?['DISCHAREGE_x0020_DATE'])

Error I am facingError I am facing

Syntax of that itemSyntax of that item

The expression is doing what it is supposed to do, but you are trying to apply a date conversion to an empty array (so it will not work). It looks like you will probably need a condition at this point to skip this action if the array is empty (or make it supply a hard coded date to get past the error).

khari14
Frequent Visitor

Yes, you are right but how? I tried both below with no luck

Sol 1:
coalesce(items('Apply_to_each_2')?['DISCHAREGE_x0020_DATE'],'')

Sol 2:
if(equals(items('Apply_to_each_2')?['DISCHAREGE_x0020_DATE'], null), json('[]'), items('Apply_to_each_2')?['DISCHAREGE_x0020_DATE'])

Same Error:

Evaluation of inputs for the expression action of kind 'ConvertTimeZone' failed: 'Required property 'baseTime' expects a value but got null. Path ''.'.

Regards

Hari

2022-07-26_8-03-20.png2022-07-26_8-03-41.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (3,988)