cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Lochwood
Level: Powered On

Null form fields causing flow to fail

I have a form with lots of sections and branching meaning not all of the form fields get filled usually. i have 15 date fields and similar number fields feeding a list box formatted the same. if i make all list fields text, the flow will run with null values present on the form. this is not ideal. how can i run my flow?

here is the error: 

OpenApiOperationParameterTypeConversionFailed. The 'inputs.parameters' of workflow operation 'Create_item' of type 'OpenApiConnection' is not valid. Error details: Input parameter 'item/Mileage10_Claim_Date' is required to be of type 'String/date'. The runtime value '""' to be converted doesn't have the expected format 'String/date'.

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Null form fields causing flow to fail

@Lochwood 

Hi there!  Do you have a Parse JSON step?  Is that where this is erroring out?  If so, this is caused by the "upload sample payload to build schema" bit that Flow/PA includes.  It's typically very helpful, but can cause problems for non-developers because it assigns a "type" to EVERY value.  So that means that future runs will need to have matching data, or you'll see this error.  (For me, it was an "Address 3" which is never filled out.

The "trick" is to remove the type for the offending field.  Check out John Liu's Thesis on the Parse JSON action for more details.  Specifically, "Problem 4".

Keep us posted.

-Ed-

If you liked this reply, please give it a thumbs up! If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,485)