cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
subas
Frequent Visitor

Obtaining Time keyed by user on Kaizala Survey question to SharePoint List via Flow

Dear Flow Gurus.

I need some help in passing "Time" keyed in by mobile user via Kaizala and converting that to HH:MM. The user will key in 0000 which I am not able to pass the time that was key in by the user from Kaizala as it does not appear in the SharePoint List.

Please help. I have attached the screen shots of the Kaizala, Flow, SharePoint and the error encounter

i tried using formatDateTime(variables('Time'),'HH:mm') but it throw an error as per below screen shot.

Error in FlowError in Flow

Kaizala ScreenshotKaizala ScreenshotFlow ScreenShotFlow ScreenShotSharePoint ListSharePoint List

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @subas ,

Please refer to the following method and use the following expression to format Time:

13.PNG

Expression reference:

formatDateTime(concat(take(variables('Time'),2),':',skip(variables('Time'),2)),'HH:mm')

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Jcook
MVP

Hello,

So what you need to do is convert the variable to a string.

You can do this by adding a compose action. And using the expression:
String(variables('Time')

Now instead of referencing the variable in the SharePoint action, reference the compose output.

—Josh
If you like my post please hit the "Thumbs Up" -- If my post solved your issue please "Mark as a Solution" to help others

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you like my post please hit the Thumbs Up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Check out my blog for Power Automate tips,
tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @subas ,

Please refer to the method provided by @Jcook to configure your Flow. You need to use the string() function to format the variables so that the formatDateTime() function can work.

Please take a try and feel free to let us know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

dear @Jcook Jcook and @v-bacao-msft 

My apologies as i am very new to Flow.

I just started this 1 week ago and have been put to do Flow.

Could you explain how to see the Output of the variable as i don't have any idea how to use Compose.

Some languages we can use Console to display messages and output but i notices that isn't any for Flow.

Also i tried out as requested but some how there was an error. i know i am doing something wrong here.

I have inserted a screenshots.

1.jpgInked2_LI.jpg3.jpg

Hi,

Compose is just like a variable, but you have more freedom in what you can do.

For your situation.
1) Change the type of your variable from string to float
2) In the compose use the expression
string()
3) Now inside the () you want to switch over to dynamic content and select your variable and click done/update
4) in your SharePoint action you need to use the formatdatetime expression on your compose now, not the variable.

Some context of what is going on:
Your variable is initialized as type string, but the answer you are passing to that variable is of type float.

The expression formatdatetime only accepts a parameter of type string.

That is why we use the expression string() to convert the float (number) to a string

—Josh
If you like my post please hit the "Thumbs Up" -- If my post solved your issue please "Mark as a Solution" to help others

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

subas
Frequent Visitor

hi @Jcook .

One again my apologies.

Some how its not working for me.

When i key in 0100 on the mobile, there is an error i obtained as per screen shot.

I have change as requested but with my lack of understanding programming and Flo,  i may have missed out some things. 

Please help.

Regards

Subas

Annotation 2020-02-22 150503.jpgAnnotation 2020-02-22 150716.jpgAnnotation 2020-02-22 150749.jpgAnnotation 2020-02-22 150842.jpg

Hi @subas ,

Please refer to the following method and use the following expression to format Time:

13.PNG

Expression reference:

formatDateTime(concat(take(variables('Time'),2),':',skip(variables('Time'),2)),'HH:mm')

Best Regards,

Dear @v-bacao-msft 

Good morning to you. i have update as per your solution but some how i am getting the error as per screen shot below. Please advice.

Thank you Sir

Regards

Subas

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG

Hello,
Add this to your variable called time.

string()
Put whatever is in your variable called time inside the ()

—Josh

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

Hi @subas ,

My method is to default the user to follow the rules like 0100/2359 when entering the time.

Best Regards,

Dear @v-bacao-msft.

sorry for the delay in getting back as i was trying out how to solve these issues and i am sad to say i can't get it to work. it look so easy but it very difficult. 

regards

subas

Hi @subas ,

Could you please provide a screenshot about error details so that we could provide a proper method to correct this issue?

Best Regards,

Dear @v-bacao-msft 

I still can't get it to work. Below are my screen shots starting from Kaizala entry.

Capture4.PNGCapture7.PNGCapture5.PNG

Ok, We continue to solve this problem together.

Best Regards,

Hi @subas ,

Please initialize a string variable instead of a Float variable.

Best Regards,

Dear @v-bacao-msft 

Please find as attached the screen shots with error after changing the variable from Float to String as per attached. Thank you for taking the time to help me with this problem @v-bacao-msft. Very very much appreciated. 

1.jpg2.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (5,058)