Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Oliver_
Level: Powered On

Office 356 to Google Calendar - "Missing time zone"

Dear all,

I am new to Microsoft Flow and would like to create one flow that I thought was very easy: Creating, updating or deleting events from Office 365 in my Google Calendar.

I tried some templates, such as "Bestimmte Terminkategorie aus Office 365 in Google Kalender kopieren" (sorry, only could see German titles due to my settings), usually starting with V2 or V3, and I also created own flows.

I assume the flow that I need looks like this (I translated into English):

[Office symbol] When a new event is created, updated or deleted (V3)

x    Calendar ID: "Kalender"

|
                                   \/

[Google symbol] Create, update or delete

x    Calendar ID: [name of my Google calendar]

x    starting time, end time etc.: relations accordingly

After trying it out - namely entering a new event in my Outlook Calendar, there is a green checkmark next to the first step (so I assume Microsoft Flow recognizes the event) but a red cross next to the 2. step - so apparently it or Google has has an issue with creating the event.

The error message is "Missing time zone definition for start time."

One of the solutions I found in this forum is adding a "Z" behind the starting and ending time, which did not work for me. I literally added a "Z" in the according fields right behind those blue boxes but nothing changed.

I also tried changing the time zone from "UTC" to "Roundtrip for Date/Time". But I received the same error message.

I’d be very happy, if someone could help me out here. Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thank you very much and kind regards from Berlin,

Oliver

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

Re: Office 356 to Google Calendar - "Missing time zone"

@Oliver_ 

Hi there.  It would be helpful to see the data coming in and out of the steps to see how it is formatted.

One trick that I've used instead of formatdate() is to use the action "Convert Timezone" and leave your source and target the same, but edit the format there.  It's an easy way to do the same thing without having to know expressions.

Keep us posted either way.

-Ed-

If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

Oliver_

Hi Ed,

thanx for your reply! I hope it's fine that I copy paste the data right here. This is what it looked like without any time conversion:

When an event is created (V3)

Überschriften/Headlines

Pragma
no-cache
Retry-After
Vary
Accept-Encoding
x-ms-request-id
2bacbe72-c2c9-44f5-974d-eb947bc4dd76
Strict-Transport-Security
max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains
X-Content-Type-Options
nosniff
X-Frame-Options
DENY
Timing-Allow-Origin
x-ms-apihub-cached-response
true
Cache-Control
no-store, no-cache
Date
Mon, 16 Sep 2019 13:13:38 GMT
Set-Cookie
ARRAffinity=24c0c5d453cea1372d4fb775ae15489ca76fdd76419734e017ad94ffc035934d;Path=/;HttpOnly;Domain=office365-ne.azconn-ne-01.p.azurewebsites.net
Content-Type
application/json; charset=utf-8
Expires
Content-Length

Körper/Body
{
"subject": "test 02",
"start": "2019-09-21T12:30:00.0000000",
"end": "2019-09-21T14:30:00.0000000",
"body": "<html>\r\n<head>\r\n<meta http-equiv=\"Content-Type\" content=\"text/html; charset=utf-8\">\r\n<meta content=\"text/html; charset=iso-8859-1\">\r\n<meta name=\"ProgId\" content=\"Word.Document\">\r\n<meta name=\"Generator\" content=\"Microsoft Word 15\">\r\n<meta name=\"Originator\" content=\"Microsoft Word 15\">\r\n<style>\r\n<!--\r\n@font-face\r\n\t{font-family:\"Cambria Math\"}\r\n@font-face\r\n\t{font-family:Calibri}\r\np.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal\r\n\t{margin:0cm;\r\n\tmargin-bottom:.0001pt;\r\n\tfont-size:11.0pt;\r\n\tfont-family:\"Calibri\",sans-serif}\r\na:link, span.MsoHyperlink\r\n\t{color:#0563C1;\r\n\ttext-decoration:underline}\r\na:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed\r\n\t{color:#954F72;\r\n\ttext-decoration:underline}\r\nspan.E-MailFormatvorlage17\r\n\t{font-family:\"Calibri\",sans-serif;\r\n\tcolor:windowtext}\r\n.MsoChpDefault\r\n\t{font-family:\"Calibri\",sans-serif}\r\n@page WordSection1\r\n\t{margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 2.0cm 70.85pt}\r\ndiv.WordSection1\r\n\t{}\r\n-->\r\n</style>\r\n</head>\r\n<body lang=\"DE\" link=\"#0563C1\" vlink=\"#954F72\" style=\"\">\r\n<div class=\"WordSection1\">\r\n<p class=\"MsoNormal\">&nbsp;</p>\r\n</div>\r\n</body>\r\n</html>\r\n",
"isHtml": true,
"responseType": "none",
"responseTime": "0001-01-01T00:00:00+00:00",
"id": "AAMkAGRhMDkyMjIwLTNhZjctNDQzMC1hMjJmLTcxODczYWFmMzU3ZgBGAAAAAAB5TAcHrEiITJfQErW9z12vBwC1V0B6EeyVTKAQCv8MtflpAAAAAAENAAC1V0B6EeyVTKAQCv8MtflpAAAAAIDTAAA=",
"createdDateTime": "2019-09-16T13:13:33.5968404+00:00",
"lastModifiedDateTime": "2019-09-16T13:13:35.1011671+00:00",
"organizer": "abc@abc.com",
"timeZone": "UTC",
"seriesMasterId": null,
"categories": [],
"requiredAttendees": "abc@abc.com;",
"optionalAttendees": "",
"resourceAttendees": "",
"location": "",
"importance": "normal",
"isAllDay": false,
"recurrence": "none",
"recurrenceEnd": null,
"numberOfOccurences": null,
"reminderMinutesBeforeStart": 15,
"showAs": "busy",
"responseRequested": true
}

Create Event

BadRequest

Eingaben/Input

Kalender-ID: [name of my Google Calendar]

Startzeit/starting time: 2019-09-21T12:30:00.0000000

Endzeit/ ending time: 2019-09-21T14:30:00.0000000

Titel: Test 02

Speicherort/location: -/-

Teilnehmer/participants: abc@abc.com

Output
Statuscode/status code: 400

Überschriften/Headlines

Key

value

Transfer-Encoding

chunked

Vary

Origin,X-Origin

X-Content-Type-Options

nosniff

X-Frame-Options

SAMEORIGIN

X-XSS-Protection

1; mode=block

Alt-Svc

quic=":443"; ma=2592000; v="46,43,39"

Timing-Allow-Origin

x-ms-apihub-cached-response

false

Cache-Control

max-age=0, private

Date

Content-Type

application/json

Expires

Content-Length

Körper/Body

{
"error": {
"errors": [
{
"domain": "global",
"reason": "required",
"message": "Missing time zone definition for start time."
},
{
"reason": "required",
"message": "Missing time zone definition for end time."
},
{
"reason": "invalid",
"message": "Invalid attendee email."
}
],
"code": 400,
"message": "Missing time zone definition for start time."
}
}
______________________________________________________________________________________

I hope this already helps a bit. If you need similar data for the version including time conversion, please let me know.

Thanx and Best,
Oliver

Super User
Super User

@Oliver_ 

No worries at all.  Let's take a look at the whole flow up to this point.  Can you post a screenshot of the Flow?

-Ed-

Oliver_

Thanx @edgonzales , that's great,

here are screenshots of the structure of the flow and of the analysis of a test I just made:

OScreenshot Flow 01 (2 Steps inkl. Änderungen) -  Flow.jpgScreenshot Flow 01 (2 Steps inkl. Änderungen) - Details 1.jpgScreenshot Flow 01 (2 Steps inkl. Änderungen) - Details 2.jpgScreenshot Flow 01 (2 Steps inkl. Änderungen) - Details 3.jpgScreenshot Flow 01 (2 Steps inkl. Änderungen) - Details 4.jpg

Contrary to the flow I discribed earlier this one is based on V2 (event created, changed or deleted) and not V3 (When an event is created (V3)

And for some reason, I did not find the text "missing time zone" anymore. No clue why. But as you can see, it still does not work. :-)

Looking foreward to hearing from you,

Cheers,

Oliver

Oliver_

Hi,

something that I have been thinking about and played around with is the date-time-format that Microsoft provides (and accepts) and that Google calendar needs.

According to this website https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37118?hl=de Google requires this format (at least when importing events from Excel):

Screenshot Flow Import Google Events from Excel.jpg

DD/MM/YYYY and hh:mm a

I'm not sure, if my "German" version of Microsoft flow can create this. I tried out to enter this user defined format string:

formatDateTime('DD/MM/YYYY and hh:mm a')

But when trying it out, Microsoft Flow complain sabout an "InvalidTemplate": The date.time-format does not comply with ISO 8601, which asks for something like DD-MM-YYYY.

Not sure, if this is of any relevance but I can imagine date formatting is an issue here.

Regards,

Oliver

Super User
Super User

@Oliver_ 

Hi there - Interesting issue.  I'll look more into the rest of the Flow in a bit, but the date formatting should be lowercase EXCEPT for month and it won't like the 'and' bit either.  Because I'm not great with expressions, I use the Convert Time Zone to do the same thing:

20190919a.PNG

You can use whatever source/destination you'd like, or keep everything UTC.  The data out, looks like this:

20190919b.PNG

Which should match your Google requirements.  I'll look at the other stuff bit deeper in a bit.  Keep us posted.

-Ed-

If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

Oliver_

Hi,

sorry, I didn't actually say that; I was also using the "Convert Time Zone" tool. There is an option to enter custom time formats.

But I also tried most of the standard formats (only left out the ones without time) - without any success.

So far, I have no other ideas, what to do. I am very surprised, how this seemingly easy task can be that difficult to realize. I mean, it shouldn't be rocket science exporting and updating events from Outlook to Google, right? Anyway, I very much hope it can be done.

Cheers,

Oliver

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 364 members 5,229 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: