Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

Onboarding - create User on On-Prem server

Hi

Before i attempt this i would like to have some input, is it doable and is it a good practice? Would it be a really hard way to do?

I want to create an Onboardning form/list.

• User inputs data in SharePoint column (create new Item)
  • Flow trigger on Create new item for the list
  • Flow generates a csv or excel file based on the data form the columns in the list.
  • Flow send the file it generated to a Document Library or a Onedrive.
  • On-Prem server has a running PowerShell script that checks the location if a new item is created.
  • If a new item is created, PowerShell takes the data from the excel, cvs file and creates a user in the On-Prem AD
  • When the user is created the PowerShell delets the file.
  • Flow then looks up the User from Azure (On-Prem is synced with Azure) sets a new password and emails the account details to the user that created the item in the list.

I do understand there is 3rd party solution for write back to On-Prem AD but this is not an option.

My questions are, im I thinking wrong? Is it over complicated? How would you solve it?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Onboarding - create User on On-Prem server

Hi @JimmyWork ,

Do you want to create user on on-premises AD, then sync to Azure AD?

Currently, Flow has actions on Azure AD, we could use “Create user” action to create user directly when user inputs data in SharePoint list.

From your description, the PowerShell script will be triggered once the file is created in SharePoint library or OneDrive.

We could use Flow to create the file to a library folder automatically to trigger the PowerShell, however, if you want to looks up the user from the Azure, you may need to create custom connector. As Azure AD connector doesn’t have a trigger.

Documents for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/custom-connectors/define-blank

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

I want to create a user on the on-prem AD using microsoft flow.

I have no connection to the on-prem from sharepoint or flow so i was thinking on letting flow create a csv file or excel file with the information from the sharepoint columns. 

I need to figure out how to get this file to my on-prem so it can run the powershell and create the user.

Highlighted

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JimmyWork ,

I would suggest you try with Custom APIs, by creating a custom connector, you describe the API you want to connect to so that the connector understands the API’s operations and data structures.

Further, gateways supports the following on-premises data sources:

• SQL Server
  • SharePoint
  • Oracle
  • Informix
  • Filesystem
  • DB2

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

On-premise resources can be accessed via cloud services. This also includes active directory, the following post might help to create AD account in Onpremise

https://ashiqf.com/2020/05/27/automate-the-provision-of-on-premise-ad-account-part-2/

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Super User Program Update

Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,271)