cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

One Drive Step "Convert file (preview)" has stopped working

I created a flow that gathers and sorts information from a SharePoint List and then inputs that information into a Word Template. The Word Template is than saved to OneDrive and converted to PDF. The PDF is then filed back to SharePoint before being emailed out to a List of individuals. The flow runs once a week in preparation for a meeting. It has been running successfully for several months.

It stopped working last night. An error occurs in the step in which the populated Word document is converted to PDF. This step using the built-in OneDrive Step named: "Convert file (preview)". The error message indicates that the operation has been throttled.

Barbone_0-1612475134961.png

The account that owns this flow has been allocated a Power Automate License for the "per user plan". 

I can't figure out why this one step has suddenly stopped working.

7 REPLIES 7
v-yiwenxie-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Anonymous 

I found a article whose issue described is similar to yours: Troubleshooting Slow Running Flows (microsoft.com)

Throttling limits of OneDrive for Business is: OneDrive for Business - Connectors | Microsoft Docs

The resolution can be:

• Redesigning your flow to use fewer actions and less data.

If you have 'Do until' or 'For each item' loops in your flow, see if you can reduce the number of loop iterations, possibly by retrieving fewer items to iterate through.

Many connectors have 'Filter query' and 'Top count' parameters that can be used to reduce the number of items and amount of data retrieved. Filtering with Odata

If you have a scheduled flow that runs frequently, consider reducing the frequency. Many flows that run once per minute or hour could be revised to occur less often.

If your flow is interacting with files, be conscious of the file size and try to reduce it if possible.

If you need to reuse a single property returned by an action with large output size multiple times, consider using 'Initialize Variable' to store that property, and use the variable in later actions. Even if only one property is used from an output of an earlier action, all outputs of that action that will be passed into the later action as inputs.

• Purchasing a Per User or Per Flow license from the pricing page

If your flow is executing thousands of actions every day, you should consider purchasing a Per Flow license to get better throughput and higher quotas. Per Flow plans provide the best performance quotas available.

Power Automate will eventually add the ability to purchase additional add-on packs if the Per Flow plan is still not enough, but until that time, if you must have more actions than we provide on a daily basis, you can consider exporting your flow to Logic Apps. Note that Logic Apps charges by the action, so you will notice the cost associated with your flow more acutely.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Kira Xie
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response.

I am receiving the 429 Error. On the failing "Convert file" step.

For additional information regarding the flow:

1. There are at least 40 steps in the Flow. There are several loops and filter queries.
  2. All these steps preceding the "Convert file" step are successfully completed. I can tell this because the "Convert file" step is preceded by a step that creates a docx file, and I can see the docx file is created successfully.
  3. I created a copy of the flow and adjusted it to remove the "Convert file" step; instead, the flow finishes by emailing the completed docx, instead of the docx converted to a pdf. Again, success.
  4. The size of the docx file to be converted is less the 70 kB. 

So I decided to attempt to isolate the issue. I created a new recurring flow that includes only a step to "Convert file" and then "Create file" using the content of the "Convert file step". Again, the flow fails at the "Convert file" step.

v-yiwenxie-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Anonymous 

There are some known issues and limitations while converting file to pdf in OneDrive for Business connector. And there is a workaround. Here is the link: OneDrive for Business - Connectors | Microsoft Docs

For more info about 429 error: Error responses - OneDrive API - OneDrive dev center | Microsoft Docs

If the problem still exists, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yiwenxie-msft 

Thanks for responding. The workaround in the article you posted suggested "to increase the delay between the file creation and converting to PDF". I tried this workaround already when I created a flow that only included two steps:

1. Convert file
  2. Create file

For the Step "Convert file", I used a docx file that had been created five days prior. Again, same 429 Error from the Step "Convert file".

v-yiwenxie-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Anonymous 

Could you show screenshots of detailed steps of your flow, the outputs of the flow and the error you get?

If you just convert one file and then create it, usually it won't cause 429 error. 

The error means:

2.10-11.PNG

Because I've tested many times and not getting any error as below:

2.10-10.PNG 

Best Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yiwenxie-msft 

Here's the test Flow:

Barbone_0-1612988049177.png

Here's the error that results when running that flow:

Barbone_1-1612988128031.png

In your example, I see that you're using the trigger "Manually trigger a flow". The flows where I'm having an error use the trigger "Recurrence". 

So I created a second test flow with that same trigger "Manually trigger a flow". Again, same error.

Barbone_2-1612988260718.png

v-yiwenxie-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Anonymous 

It seems that this error is from Office Service and maybe a temporary bug.

If it troubles you a lot, then could you please contact the support on phone?

2.11-16.png2.11-17.PNG

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,719)