cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
onemahpour
Level: Powered On

OneDrive conversion to PDF fails with error WordFileTypeBlocked

Our flow is using the OneDrive for Business connector to convert a combined DOCX file to PDF document but lately we noticed its throwing a 400 error as below:

{
  "status": 400,
  "message": "Error from Office Service. Url= HttpCode= OK ResponseHeaders=ResponseCode: Failure\r\n
ErrorCode: WordFileTypeBlocked
\r\nIsExpectedFailure: True\r\nErrorCategory: BadRequest\r\nServiceID: ca393fad-0cd5-4c58-afa8-39a9eea80e16\r\nOutputFormat: PDF\r\nServiceRegion: CanadaCentral\r\nConversionTime: 1281.2599\r\nSourceFileDownloadTimeInMs: 250.0066\r\nDate: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 16:28:42 GMT\r\nServer: Microsoft-IIS/8.5\r\nX-Powered-By: ASP.NET\r\n", "source": "api.connectorp.svc.ms" }

We are able to open the Word file in Word Online as well as Word Client editor. 

This was working fine before...

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
onemahpour

Re: OneDrive conversion to PDF fails with error WordFileTypeBlocked

So I ended up not using the HTML injection into Word. I had the XSLT to transform my xml data into HTML before. I changed it to generate OOXML Markup for the native MS Word Table structure and injected the table as a Part into my master Word file. that worked with no problem!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ictmusings

Is this error always popping up or does it sometimes happen and sometimes not? I also wonder if the Docx file itself changed recently? The name for instance or how it was created?

onemahpour

It started failing when we incorporated HTML content into our word file. 

XslTransform myXslTransform;
                            myXslTransform = new XslTransform();
                            myXslTransform.Load(new XmlTextReader(new StringReader(Properties.Resources.Table)));
                            XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument();
                            var xmlStr = container.GetRootDirectoryReference().GetDirectoryReference(name).GetFileReference((file as CloudFile).Name).DownloadText();
                            string byteOrderMarkUtf8 = Encoding.UTF8.GetString(Encoding.UTF8.GetPreamble());
                            if (xmlStr.StartsWith(byteOrderMarkUtf8, StringComparison.Ordinal))
                            {
                                xmlStr = xmlStr.Remove(0, byteOrderMarkUtf8.Length);
                            }
                            doc.LoadXml(xmlStr);
                            var tw = new StringWriter();
                            myXslTransform.Transform(doc.CreateNavigator(), new XsltArgumentList() { }, tw);

var chunk = mainPart.AddAlternativeFormatImportPart(AlternativeFormatImportPartType.Html, altChunkId);

chunk.FeedData(new MemoryStream(Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes(tw.ToString())));

This code produces a HTML table using XLST transformation with an xml file and the output looks like 

<table cellpadding="10" width="500" align="center" style="border: solid 1pt;border-spacing: 0;" xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2008/07/excelservices/rest">
  <thead style="background-color:#eee;">
    <tr border="0">
      <td style="border-bottom: solid 1pt" width="70%" align="center">Payment Date or Milestone</td>
      <td style="border-bottom: solid 1pt;border-left: solid 1pt" align="center">Amount</td>
    </tr>
  </thead>
  <tbody>
    <tr border="0">
      <td style="border-bottom: solid 0.5pt" width="70%">August 31, 2018</td>
      <td style="border-bottom: solid 0.5pt;border-left: solid 1pt" align="right">$24,032.40</td>
    </tr>
    <tr border="0">
      <td style="border-bottom: solid 0.5pt" width="70%">October 31, 2018</td>
      <td style="border-bottom: solid 0.5pt;border-left: solid 1pt" align="right">$10,299.60</td>
    </tr>
  </tbody>
</table>

Document can be opened in Word Online or Word Client app without any warnings or errors but OneDrive PDF conversion fails. 

onemahpour

I was able to confirm that the conversation fails if there’s HTML content in ms word file
ictmusings

I recently used the conversion action as well. As far as I remember if you use a .docx and passed it on to the conversion action (OneDrive) with target .pdf, it will expect binary information. Maybe this is why it fails? It's just a guess at this point.

Can you include the HTML content some other way into the document? Or is this not possible. When I do a convert, I always use a compose action, fill it with HTML and dynamically add in the data (from SharePoint or MS Forms) and then create a .html file. This file is then used as input in the OneDrive for Business convert action. This always works for me. Maybe you can try this approach? I don't know if this is possible in your business scenario, but if so you can easily generate pdfs from HTML without further issue. The already included HTML isn't going to be the problem anymore in that case.

onemahpour

So I ended up not using the HTML injection into Word. I had the XSLT to transform my xml data into HTML before. I changed it to generate OOXML Markup for the native MS Word Table structure and injected the table as a Part into my master Word file. that worked with no problem!

View solution in original post

ictmusings

Thanks for the update and I'm glad everything worked out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 268 members 3,509 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: